Raspberry PI4 Install

Install notes say We recommend that you run the setup script on your externally mounted USB HDD as your own user so Channels DVR Server is installed there rather than your SD card. Can someone guide me as to how to do this? I did an ssh into the pi and ran the command given but it installed on the SD card from what I can tell.

That's fine it should still work. Installing on some external drives does not work if they were formatted for windows/mac so we may remove that from the instructions

OK thank you. I will test it out to see how it is working.

Was the goal of this request to keep I/O traffic off of the flash memory?

I'm going to migrate my Mac instance of Channels to a Pi4, but with all of the updates that you guys push out (thank you!) was waiting for an automated update procedure on the Pi.

Yes the idea was to keep the guide database off the flash since some SD cards seem to fail more quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean by automated update procedure on the Pi. The DVR auto-updates itself regardless of platform, and we have a backup/restore facility for moving the DVR between computers or platforms.

So far Channels DVR is running like a champ on my PI 4. The program installed on the SD card and the DVR is saving recordings on a USB connected HDD. So far it has been smooth!

1 Like

I am running Channels DVR on an RPI4 with a terabyte SSD. The program is on the SSD. After startup issues (needed sudo rpi-update to get commercial detection), the system works just fantastic! I have a Quatro, Connect and a Prime attached and use TVE. I have recorded 12 shows at once. The commercial detection works great. I have only tried one remote internet setup and it works great. Tiny setup! Thanks Aman for your help.

Hi there! I'm setting up a RPI4 for Channels DVR (first time using RPI or Channels). Do I need to leave the Pi booting into the GUI in order to use TVE (via Chromium) or can I change it to boot to the console, without automatically logging in? Thanks!

GUI booting is unnecessary. (My Channels DVR system has no monitor attached; one was only present for the initial installation.)

Thanks for the tip!

My first snag: I've installed Channels DVR via the setup script, and connected to it via my web browser. But when I click the "Log In" button, I get redirected to the following page:

https://community.getchannels.com/oauth/authorize?access_type=offline&client_id=5a1ee61b287980862dce7863438b1e1e22186342f6fc1f95c1e8daa8cec8d5f9&redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2F%5Bfe80%3A%3A995f%3Abf6d%3A735a%3A376a%25wlan0%5D%3A8089%2Fauth%2Fconfirm&response_type=code

Which shows this error message:

An error has occurred
The redirect uri included is not valid.

Use http://10.0.142.113:8089

Fort external drives what format should they be instead of NTFS

Are you only using it with the Pi4? If so, then ext4 might be best. If compatibility is required, then ExFAT is probably your best bet.

I will state, though my experience may be quite singular, I have historically had bad luck with ExFAT filesystem drives corrupting. ext4 certainly has been a safer for me in regards to Linux.

To my knowledge, ExFAT has no journaling, so an interruption like power failure during data transfer can result in corruption and data loss.

Can I use the HDD that is holding my recordings on my windows machine in the RPi without reformatting? I don't want to lose my recordings.

I had my setup installed to the SD card with a 4TB external hard drive. Was working great, but then read a comment in the USB BOOT IMAGE thread about not installing to SD cards as they fail. What to do??? I am using my Pi for more than just Channels DVR, so I didn't want to go that route, but googling found this link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=196778

It'll reformat your external HDD and basically copy your SD card to it. The downside is you need a place to temporarily put what's currently on your HDD since it wipes it clean. It makes the boot partition FAT and the data partition ext4. Then just copy your data back and viola, no more need to SD card anymore.