Recent Recordings not appearing

In the last week, twice we have found that the nightly news (which we record every night) was not listed in the recordings on the AppleTV. I exited the app and force quit it tonight and when it restarted the recordings were visible. Maybe something is keeping Channels on AppleTV from checking the server for recent recordings.

What data can I collect to help diagnose this?

I, too, have noticed that new recordings do not necessarily show up in the "Up Next" section of the library, but they will show up in the "Recently Updated" section. Navigating away to a different part of the UI, then returning to the Library, does bring newer recordings back to the Up Next section.

I believe this has been noted as an issue for several months, which leads me to believe this is not a trivial bug to fix.

What were the steps that got you to the "Up Next" screen where you noticed that it wasn't up-to-date?

Were you on the screen when the recording started? Were you on a different screen and navigated to it? did you just open the app? Had the app been open?

Channels was in the background, but the last view was the Library. When switching back to Channels, newly recorded programs do not appear in the "Up Next" section, but they do appear in the "Recently Updated".

If I switch to the Guide—or any other page—and then return to the Library, the Up Next section is updated.

Our normal nightly ritual is that Channels gets activated (it was left in Guide view, having exited from live TV in the morning). We switch to Recordings and occasionally the new recordings from this evening do NOT show up.

I tried switching to other Navigational items (e.g. TV Shows) and the new recordings did not appear. I only realized the recordings had to exist because the guide showed the second news broadcast we record each night in yellow (e.g. recording in progress). That's when I decided to force quit channels and restart it, which caused it to talk to the server and refresh.

In case its relevant, I believe the last two times we did this where I noticed the problem, it was between 6 and 6:30p, the first news show had been recorded and the second show, immediately afterward, was in progress.

@JuanCab the next time this happens, if you could submit diagnostics before you force quit the app that would be helpful in tracking this down. Please respond here when you've done that and we'll check it out.

As a follow-up:
Just now, the newly recorded Jeopardy! episode should be first in the Up Next, but the image shows it only in the Recently Updated.

(Logs submitted.)

@racameron I believe this will fix your issue. Please let me know if it does.

@JuanCab I'm still not able to replicate your issue, so your diagnostics will be helpful to see the pattern.

I’ll see if the same behavior happens tonight. Would it matter that I have “Up Next” disabled?

I'll check, but I don't think there is anything expected in "Up Next" until tomorrow evening.

No, these issues are unrelated. It sounds like @racameron thought he was running into the same issue as you, but they were similar but different.

No news tonight, football game… will have to wait until tomorrow. If it happens I will try to capture the diagnostics and send it in. To speed things up, remind me how. :slight_smile:

Go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted.

I have experienced this issue on my Apple TV many times on different recordings. New recordings are not listed under Recordings. At first I panicked but found them in Library. Usually once I check the Library and go back to Recordings they appear. It's as if that action forces an update of the Recordings list.