Recent Spectrum TVE Authentication Error

Hi, Sometime over this past weekend, my Spectrum TV Everywhere source stopped accepting login credentials.

A recently scheduled recording gave the following error in the DVR log:
2024/04/14 22:30:32.641279 [ERR] Failed to start stream on channel 6039 via TVE-Spectrum: TVE: Cable provider authentication failed

I remember that this happened last year and eventually resolved in a matter of days.
I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same trouble.

No issue with 6039 here at this moment. Tuned live stream and played immediately.

Thank you for checking

Each TVE channel (those between 6000 and 6700) has to be re-authenticated periodically (every so many days). Channels from 6700 to 6993 are not TVE channels.
When the auth token for a channel has expired, Channels DVR will try to re-authenticate it with your provider when you try to play or record that channel..
Try playing some channels you never watch and see if you get the same error.

Is the software doing that for me, or am I doing that for it?

Not sure what that means.
I was telling jsfullam to try playing some channels he never watches, which should force Channels DVR to re-auth those channels w/Spectrum.

I tried several channels and none of them were working. Same error for each. So, I removed the source and attempted to add it back, as I have done in the past. It won't take my Spectrum credentials. I receive the attached authentication failure message, which indicates error ELI-9001:

I'm sorry if that was complicated. Whenever you come into this place and tell a user to do something, would that be a job the software could have done in advance to avoid user interaction?

Try playing at some live network websites in a browser using your Spectrum credentials and see if it works. If not, it's a Spectrum problem with their auth servers.

If you search the web for that error it appears mostly due to account/password sharing or out of home use. One example https://www.reddit.com/r/Spectrum/comments/15m1zuz/comment/ki5al0b

The software will record scheduled airings, and if the channel needs re-authed it will attempt to re-auth the channel in order to record from it.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Interesting thing here. I have tried several channels directly through their respective websites. I am able to successfully log in to my Spectrum account, CNN.com, TCM.com, and HGTV.com.
I could not get into NBC.com, CSPAN.com, or CC.com.

It's hit and miss. Judging from my DVR log, it's trying to use NBC to verify credentials. That's one of the channels which doesn't accept my login.

Log excerpt:
2024/04/15 18:01:33.525235 [TVE] action=navigate url=https://sp.auth.adobe.com/adobe-services/authenticate/saml?noflash=true&mso_id=Spectrum&requestor_id=nbcentertainment&no_iframe=true&domain_name=adobe.com&redirect_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsp.auth.adobe.com%2Fadobe-services%2FcompletePassiveAuthentication

What happens when you try to use your Spectrum credentials at those live network websites?
Get an error message, hangs, ?

I get the same message as my previous screen shot. "We're sorry something didn't work quite right please try again later reference code ELI-9001"

I'm not seeing that password sharing problem come up when I Google the error I received. The reddit link you shared doesn't look like the same error to me. Besides, the password sharing issue doesn't apply in my case.

That was just one example of a recent post I found with the same error code.
It's the last post (that didn't mention sharing) in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Spectrum/comments/15m1zuz/reference_code_eli1301/

He said there was a physical restriction of 3 Concurrent devices active at any given time and when he tried a 4th device he got the error.

Anyways, I don't use Spectrum, was just trying to help.

Believe me, I really appreciate that you are trying to help me. I was just trying to make sense of the reddit post which was about ELI-1301 and password sharing. My code was ELI-9001, and I do not share my password with anyone.

For me, everything was working fine until I noticed a couple missed recordings over the weekend. I was wondering if it was just me, or if others were having the same issue.

I had a similar problem last year. Though, I can't recall the specific error message from that time. It turned out to be an authentication problem on Spectrum's end. It resolved after a day or two.

You're right :blush:
I clicked on a search result for "Spectrum ELI-9001" and overlooked that it gave me a bad result.

When you try to rescan a tve channel in your spectrum source on sources page do you get a chrome failed to open or reset your password before retrying to login error? I'm trying to see how widespread the reset password problem is. My hunch is they were breached and tve logins were compromised for who knows how many so the reset password in the past 3-4 days I'm thinking.

Either way, I learned something new. It's interesting to know about the 3 device limit. It's just my wife and I. So,we're not likely to hit the limit. But, you never know, we use Channels DVR remotely when we're away, and if we had a power outage at home, we'd need to rely on the Spectrum app(s).

In the end, I have had several TVE authentication problems using our Spectrum Cable TV account and have just switched to a pure streaming provider (Hulu Live) with a modest cost savings. No trouble adding the new TVE source. We'll see how well it does from here... TVE authentication can be sketchy, regardless of the provider.

Again, thanks so much for your help. :smiley:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I removed the source before I tried rescanning many channels. When I tried to add it back in, it wouldn't take my credentials. I think that your hunch is pretty likely to be the case.
Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: How to eliminate duplicating channel numbers between sources