Recording 3 ATSC 3.0

I just upgraded to the flex which only has 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners. What happens when I try to record more than 2 ATSC 3 channels? My thought was I could hide the ATSC 1 channels but not sure that's a good idea because how would it recored the 3 channel? And I look at the guide now and it's showing recording for both the ATSC1 and ATSC3 source. So will that try to use 2 turners. Or is there logic built in to try ATSC3 first and fail over to ASTC1 if no tuner is avail? I'd really like to not have a 6.1 and 106.1 on my guide as an example.

It will try what ever channel you have favored first. If you have a non ATSC 3 channel you are tuning it will default to tuners 2 or 3. Tuners 0 and 1 are ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1. You cannot tune 3 ATSC 3.0 at the same time one will default to ATSC 1.

so then I can't hide my ATSC1 channels because I might have to have one select it. But this doesn't seem to fix the issue where it want's to record both ATSC1 and ATSC3 both. When I have multiple shows recording, I don't want the same show eat up 2 tuners. And I don't want to set up ATSC3 only because of the issue of there only being 2.

I do not understand why it would it record a show on 2 tuners that does not happen ?

1 Like

it might not.. I am just looking at the guide and see the "record" mark by both the ATSC1 and ATSC3

That is just showing you available channels where the shows could record. Channels handles this don't be concerned.

Example ... It will not record the Show on 3 Channels.

well crap. Already had my first fail on wifes favorite show. recording failed saying "no source found" I keep getting this issue. when I go to a channel, i get "not video data". Then all I have to do is push play again to send the request again and then it works.

20230303-02:18:12 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 106.1 WSYXABC (atsc3:527MHz-5002)
20230303-02:18:22 HTTP: rejecting request from 192.168.1.104 - no video data
20230303-02:18:22 Tuner: tuner0 http stream ended (requested time reached)
20230303-02:18:30 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 106.1 WSYXABC (atsc3:527MHz-5002)
20230303-02:18:33 Tuner: tuner0 streaming http to 192.168.1.104:50131

You can hide it within the client app. You just wouldn’t want to hide it on the server sources.

That is why I have my ATSC 1 Channels favored ... ATSC 3.0 is in its infant stage.

1 Like

well I have the quatro. Thinking maybe I should ship it back if this is how things are going to go down. I think this could be handed on the channels side as well. It could be programed to send multiple tuning request so when the first one fails because the channel hasn't picked up a feed yet, the second one would be successful.

2 Likes

Have you tried playing those Channels with the HDHomeRun APP ?

They are looking at slow tuning.
Atsc3 long tuning time - Channels iOS / Troubleshooting - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

1 Like

yes, just tried and the screen is black for about 3-4 seconds then tunes. This is prob what is going on. but the native HDHomeRun app prob has a wait acts differently vs the API. since I see the HTTP reject, this obvi wouldn't be an issue with the native app.

Have you checked your signal on the new tuner. Most likely you put a splitter in and cut your signal? I feel your problems recording atsc3 channels is different than the long tune time. I have no problems recording atsc3.

I can record no prob once it's established. But some channels sync after 3 seconds, others wait the 10 and then "weak signal" on channels, but the logs clearly show it was rejected. I do not have a splitter. just going from antenna to pre amp to homerun. What I do have is the SiliconDust LPF-608M LTE Filter. I didn't use this for the quatro. Maybe this is causing the issue? Easy enough the check out.

You might need to adjust the antenna. Is it possible atsc3 is broadcasting from a different tower than atsc1?

don't that is is. Turner show 100% for the source. and I have no issues at all when I press play the second time after it times out. If it was a antenna issue, i'd have less than 100% and would have drops while watching. I only have this issue when I first tune to the channel. the "weak signal" that shows on my channels app is because there is no signal at all because the homerun rejected the request. so channels things there is no signal because there isn't one.

From cross posting

Are you on latest Firmware ?

HDHomeRun Main Menu

Model: HDHR5-4K
Device ID: 1080ACCC
Firmware: 20230224beta1

I was not on the beta..

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.