Recording for Wrong Duration

This is probably an edge case most people will not run into, but I have 2 channels with the same program - Face the Nation - starting at the same time. One channel (Chicago, IL WMEUCD3 48.3) runs the show for its full hour, the other channel (using guide data for Green Bay, WI WFRVDT 5.1) which runs just the first half hour.

I have the Season Pass set only to record from 48.3, but it seems to read the program length from the wrong channel, recording just half the time I expect it to.

2020/09/27 09:30:00.074521 [DVR] Recording for job 1601217000-10 from 107AEC41 ch48.3 into "TV/Face the Nation/Face the Nation S2020E39 2020-09-27-0930.mpg" for 29m59.939314876s

Strange. That's a simulcast of WBBM 2.1.
Does the Channels DVR Guide show it airing for an hour next Sunday from 9:30-10:30?

Yes, next week's guide for both channels shows the same. 1 hour duration for Chicago 48.3 and 30min for GB 5.1. Gracenote's TV listing page shows this for today's airings. I also had this issue last week.

If you check the DVR web UI schedule, does it show scheduled to record for 1 hour next Sunday?
Screenshot_2020-09-27 Channels DVR

You may also want to update to the latest pre-release version of Channels DVR Server by holding the [Check For Update] button in the web UI.

Why not set your pass to record an extra 30 minutes. The only downside to a correct 60 minute recording is the extra half hour.

That's a valid workaround, but he's reporting an issue and trying to figure out why it's not working correctly.

1 Like

My guess is you have more than one pass set to record it.
You can view the pass that recorded it by putting this in your web browser
http://x.x.x.x:8089/dvr/rules/10
where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your DVR server
It will display the json data for the pass

I'm currently running version 2020.09.24.1908.

Unfortunately I've been messing with this pass all morning, now I'm not certain that I had the channel specified in the pass like I thought originally. I may have just been relying on the priority of my tuners to pick up 48.3 over the other channels.

With 48.3 specified in the pass, it looks like it should record for the full hour correctly.

JSON:
{"EQ":{"Channel":"48.3","SeriesID":"184331","Tags":"New"},"GT":{},"ID":"10","IN":{},"Image":"https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/p184331_b_h6_ai.jpg","KeepNum":3,"KeepOnly":"last","LT":null,"NE":{},"NI":null,"Name":"Face the Nation","NumJobs":2,"PaddingEnd":0,"PaddingStart":0,"Paused":false,"Priority":0,"Rerecord":false,"UpdatedAt":1601228951751}

Scheduled Recordings shows 1hr:

Without the channel specified in the pass, I can see it picks up all the channels airing the show at the same time, but with a 30 minute duration. I have the tuner for 48.3 at the top of the priority list, I suppose it's possible that the conflicting guide data is causing the issue with this specific configuration.

JSON:
{"EQ":{"SeriesID":"184331","Tags":"New"},"GT":{},"ID":"10","IN":{},"Image":"https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/p184331_b_h6_ai.jpg","KeepNum":3,"KeepOnly":"last","LT":null,"NE":{},"NI":null,"Name":"Face the Nation","NumJobs":4,"PaddingEnd":0,"PaddingStart":0,"Paused":false,"Priority":0,"Rerecord":false,"UpdatedAt":1601229766958}

Scheduled Records shows 30min:

I may need to wait until next week to see if adding the channel to the pass actually fixes it.

Best to put the channel in the pass. If not told otherwise, the DVR uses tuner priority plus Favorited channels plus is it in HD or SD to decide which channel to record from. I'm guessing 48.3 is SD, so any HD channel trumps it.

1 Like

Or better yet exclude that channel from the pass.

Conditions

Channel != 48.3

Channels recognizes all these as HD, 48.3 has highest priority, and it's the only one favorited. The problem isn't that it's recording from 48.3, that's actually what I expect it to do. But, I would expect that it would record for the full hour on that channel.

The problem is that another channel with the same show, at the same time, only joins into the broadcast for the first 30 minutes before going to other programming. For whatever reason, the duration for the channel that isn't being recorded gets used for the recording job.

Excluding the one errant channel from the pass should work as well. The user experience isn't excellent.

Yeah advanced passes are kinda hidden but offers a lot of options.

Easiest workaround is to add Duration>1800 to the pass.