Recording quality

I have a quick simple question. What is the recording quality? Is it me or the resolution seams lower than 1080p? Will there be a setting for increasing the recording quality somewhere down the development road? Or am I missing it totally? I’d like my recording to be equally good as the live feed I’m getting OTA.

Thanks

The recordings are stored in raw OTA quality. The actual resolution and bitrate depends on the particular channels’ broadcast.

If you’re watching via ATV it will playback the raw file and the quality is identical to watching live tv via the app.

If you’re watching through the web UI, the quality depends on your transcoding settings.

1 Like

Ok thanks. But I can definitely see a lost in resolution when playing recordings over ATV.

I know most channels in my area are broadcasting 1080p except one that is 720p.

My recordings looks lower than 720p.

I can see “steps” (of pixels) in the curvy parts of writings on screen. I don’t have this issue when watching live. Don’t know if you understand what I’m referring to.

Thanks

What HDHR model are you using?

Extend

I just decided to check some of the recorded file on my computer and they are 1280x540… they were recorded from an HD 1080p channel. The channel isn’t even available in SD. So it can’t be a mixup.

Any ideas?

On the DVR settings page, what do you have the Extend’s transcoder set to? It it is NOT set to “none”, set it to “none” and try your experiment again.

Looks like you have the extend set to send mobile540 transcoded video over the network

Aha, looks like you found a bug. The DVR is supposed to default to “none”, but is actually defaulting to whatever your HDHR’s default is.

On the DVR settings page, if you change the dropdown to heavy and then back to none, it should fix the issue.

Hi,

I did had my HDHR transcoder setup to internet540 from my channels iPhone app. I had crappy wifi and it wouldn’t play the raw signal on mobile devices around the house. I changed it to mobile on my iPhone. I did not know it would affect the DVR.

So it is a bug, right?

The transcoding option was and still is set to none on my DVR settings page.

I’m not home right now I will test that later on.

The setting within the iOS Channels app is specific to that device. Shouldn’t impact anything else. Each device can have it’s own setting. For example your iphone could have a lower transcoding setting then an ipad pro.

The DVR server has two places with transcoding settings. The main settings screen has an option for server transcoding when playing through the web ui. If you select your Extend tuner you get the option for transcoding when recording from that tuner. This is the option you want to change.

I suspect you have your HDHR itself set to use internet540.

There is a bug in the DVR which is causing it to use the HDHR’s default transcoding profile for recordings (unless you change to heavy/mobile and then back to none).

This bug has been fixed in v2017.03.01.2225. Thanks for reporting it!