Recording while watching causes glitches on recorded file

Let me know if it helps. Afaik the flow control issue is specific to Windows’s networking.

Yes it completely solved the issue. A lot of traffic was going through that tiny switch. HDHR, Apple TV, Windows PC running DVR backend and an Airport Express serving as a wifi access point for the living room. All of them were often used all at the same time to say, watch Channels on the Apple TV, record on the DVR and access YouTube from the wifi on my son’s iPad. It was too much for the 10/100 switch.

Gigabit for the win.

2 Likes

@tmm1 : Per your suggestion, I turned off flow control on my iMac. It SEEMS to have solved the issue. In the nearly two weeks since I made the change, I haven’t encountered the problem a single time. And it was previously happening with almost every recording. Of course, now that I said that it will probably happen today! But in all seriousness, I am excited and hopeful that this truly was the fix I needed. Thanks!

1 Like

Great, let us know! What hdhomerun model are you using btw?

HDHomeRun PRIME

Is the iMac wired or on wifi? If wired, is the cable cat6 and the switch gigabit? Is the HDHR on the same switch?

Wired, CAT6, Gigabyte switch.
Now I m trying to turn off flow control and record a bunch of shows and we’ll see.

1 Like

I'm experiencing a similar issue, though I'm running the server software on Ubuntu. Any tips for which setting to change there? Thanks.

It sounds like a network issue. Check your cables and make sure the dvr and HDHR are plugged into the same switch

I’ve always had recording and watching issues, I thought it was a limitation of the software not been able to do both with out issues.

I have a western digital my cloud home, which is used exclusively as a channels server, and a HD home run quatro.

I watch channels either on a firestick 4K, or an iPhone or iPad.

The WD MCH is unfortunately pretty underpowered and can struggle to keep up.

Thanks, I’ll just accept the limitations and perhaps upgrade to something better in the future, if it wasn’t for the my cloud home, I would never have found Channels as I was initially playing with Plex before taking a chance with your software that’s available on the machine.
I just like that it’s a small device that I can keep hidden away and does a good job of streaming my TV out from home when I’m away.
Watching a recording in progress really is it’s only limitation.

If you can recommend any settings for optimal performance that would be brilliant, and if you can recommend any similar devices with the necessary performance, I can consider upgrading in the future.

Thank you.

See https://getchannels.com/raspberry-pi

1 Like

Thanks going to give that a read.

Everything I need arrives on Tuesday, I just need to find an old sd card before then.

1 Like

ive got everything, im just having trouble now, the pi isnt showing up on my network
edit:

got it going, I had to go to argos and spend another £17 on a micro hdmi cable, then I installed the standard pi os to the memory card and booted it up, then tweaked some settings, I enabled everything possible, then it booted up on to the hard drive. I need to see what I can turn off later on.
just waiting for my TB of recordings to transfer from my WD My Cloud Home, and then I can run a recent back up and its sorted.

PS anyone want to buy a 4tb my cloud home?

second update, seamlessly flicking back and forth between 3 in progress recordings while streaming a channel over mobile data to my phone.

im shocked how good this is.