Recordings in List View Request

Hi, I LOVE the Channels App for Apple TV! Combined with HDHOMERUN and their new streaming TV service, my cord cutting wishes have come true.

I do have one request though. Would it be possible to add another view to Recordings in the future. A list view of all Shows, with ones with newest recordings at the top of the list. Once you click on the show name, you drill into the details of that show and see all records as usual.

This would be very helpful and improve the usability when you have a lot of different shows recorded.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

4 Likes

+1 for this feature !!

I assume you’re requesting a text list, but just to be clear if you click on More under Recently Recorded, this will show your entire list of shows in a single list. You can optionally sort it alphabetically as well.

I’d like to see an option to enable a text list view as well - with priority sorted by the most recent recording on top. My family is used to browsing recent recordings as a list on our previous TV provider’s DVR.

Yes a list view please, in the Apple TV app. This would be similar to the way TiVo listed DVR shows. It would be nice to allow this to be the default view in the Apple TV app as soon as you go to the Recordings screen. Thanks!

1 Like

i can't speak for OP, but while this is good to know the issue is (to me anyway) the little picture tiles and how you interact with them, at least in the android tv app.

first, if i want a full list of recordings and not just the 9 that fit in the first view, i have to press 7 buttons in order to see a full list (once on recent recordings, 4 clicks right, 1 click down, click on more). a full list with one button from the menu would be incredibly helpful and much more user friendly.

second, once i finally get to the full list, i can't consistently scroll through the list due to it being in the picture tile format. the first four are in the first row, then the next four, then next four, etc. so, if i'm browsing and want to check out the first four shows in the list, then want to go to the fifth and check that one out (if i still haven't found something i want to watch), i now have to press 6 more buttons to get from the fourth show in the list to the fifth (back once to get back to the list, left 3 times, down once, click once). it's way more involved than it needs to be to accomplish one of the main tasks of a DVR, IMO.

would it be difficult to give us at least the option of having a list format just like the guide is? something like the way the DVR schedule or passes list in the web UI would be perfect.

or, at the very least, a single click to get to a full recording list rather than having to go into recent and click 7 times to get to a full list?

1 Like

I feel you and am considering a straight up Recently Recorded view. UI is in flux right now so it might be a good time to introduce it finally.

I'm curious though, does Up Next not work for you? Your description of searching for things is EXACTLY what Up Next was designed for. No matter how many views and buttons you add (which creates it's own UI complexity on it's own), you're still going to be in the dreaded Browsing Media Center flow, which is generally terrible for shows in every app.

Up Next was specifically designed to do that work for you. Why drudge through each show's hierarchy to check on shows, when the system can TELL you what is next up for watching for you?

1 Like

i guess i'm not sure how up next works exactly. the recordings don't seem to be in any particular order, at least in my case...i've got stuff that was recorded yesterday at the bottom of the list, and stuff that was recorded days ago near the top. it seems like just a giant jumble of all of my recordings, unless i'm missing something...

Up Next is calculated based on what you've watched. It orders episodes based on when you last watched the show. It tries to predict the next thing you should watch based on what you're watching and when you watched it last. Episodes of shows you're currently into and watching will be up front and easy to pick, while shows you stop watching will fall back in the list.

The idea is that episodes of shows you're currently watching stay up front and center to start watching them faster. This way there's no browsing the library of shows at all. Digging through all that hierarchy is always going to be a mess.

One thing that it's missing, and would make it better, is if you're caught up on a show, it needs to push the next new episode to the top of the list. Without this, you get "new recordings" far back in the list, because you probably watched them seven days ago. That sort of ruins everything. Because if you're caught up on a show, you obviously want to watch the next episode, so it should be up front.

that sounds great in theory, but only if it actually works 100% of the time. the first time it predicted something wrong, i'd probably go back to sifting through the full list myself to be honest (i may be in the minority on that, but that's me).

I would like to see a "list" (not tiles) of all recordings with the ability to sort two ways.
Alphabetical
Showname1 S01E01 EpisodeTitle
Showname1 S01E02 EpisodeTitle
Showname2 S01E01 EpisodeTitle
Showname2 S01E02 EpisodeTitle
By recorded date with most recent at top
Showname2 S01E02 EpisodeTitle
Showname1 S01E02 EpisodeTitle
Showname2 S01E01 EpisodeTitle
Showname1 S01E01 EpisodeTitle

Agreed. It's not where we want it to be and want to work at making it more accurate and actually represent the idea I wrote out.

1 Like

i agree with that, except i'd also be fine if they group the shows together in an expandable list (which is the way every DVR i've ever used has done it). in your by date example, it would be something like this...

showname2 (since this is most recent)
---> s01e02
---> s01e01
showname1
---> s01e02
---> s01e01

same concept with alphabetical, except with showname1 first obviously. i'd really be fine either way, but this sort of grouping would be ideal IMO.

1 Like

I agree with @crackers8199. I am trying out channels, and it is very encouraging. However, this is a real sticking point. I would like to be able to see a list of series that I record and drill into that. Basically, build a UI that makes it easier to binge a series. I do not have one slight disagreement with most of the posts here. I would like the more recently recorded series first, but I would want the oldest episode listed under each series. Again, that makes binging easier.

Every TV streaming /dvr platform I have tried has tried to innovate the show selection features i.e. guide, dvr layout, etc and have really failed. Plex, Emby, You Tube TV, Hulu Live PS Vue. I think the Channels Guide layout gets it right by not trying to stray to far from what works really well. The DVR navigation needs some work.

I agree on the navigation, it’s a few too many clicks and swipes to get to where I need to go. I feel like when I select the recorded tv menu, I have to swipe past several options to get to the “All Recordings” square that I exclusively use. Once in there, it’s perfect! All shows listed alphabetically with a count in the corner of how many episodes are recorded.

I’d love the option to jump right to the “All Recordings” view when selecting the recorded tv menu.

The same option would be great for the movies menu too.

1 Like

Interesting... I do not have an All Recordings menu.

The Channels 4.0 beta for tvOS and iOS now has a section that is just a linear list of recordings sorted by when they were recorded.

Feel free to join the beta to try it out. You can learn more about it here:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/channels-4-0-beta/22082

Wish I could, but I don't have either of those platforms.

Is a linear list planned for Android TV? I agree with all the above. Takes too many clicks to get to a recording to see the description. A simple list would allow more info to be shown on the screen inherently reducing clicks and the need to scroll more. elmination of logo gives more space to show text with show description.
This is one thing about TiVo that I likeo than Channels. It is, however, my only "complaint" about Channels. All else is great!

I believe this is currently only a feature for the Apple platform beta build. From everything I’ve read, once they finalize it, they will move to update the Android version to be the same. Hang in there, it’s coming.

1 Like