Recordings menu page oddity

I started to notice over the past few months that when I go between the recordings menu and playing back a recorded show that my screen goes black for a few seconds while the sound plays. Same when going back to the menu, the screen blacks out for a bit before I get the menu back. I don’t see this behavior on any other menu.

So I got to investigating and found something odd. I run my ATV in 4:2:0 since that is the default chroma compression for streaming. But if I put the ATV in 4:4:4 then the issue with the recordings menu goes away and switching is instant, no black screen. Or I can turn off match range in the ATV, and that fixes it too. Makes no sense but that one menu seems to be flagging 4:4:4 to my TV.

All match content settings in Channels are off.

No one else sees this behavior?

I don't use an ATV but am curious if it only happens on one of your TV's.
May be something specific to that make and model TV.
Or possibly a setting on the TV.

Check what your ATV resolution is set to. For the US, set to 59.97 and then turn match rate and content on. The idea is to reduce the amount of blackouts. In general you want those turned on so you can see content without frame skips etc (24fps content forced to 59.97). My guess is that your ATV is set to 60fps and everythng you are playing is 59.97.

Also stay away from 4:4:4, you wont gain anything and it will just cause issues.

1 Like

It’s an LG OLED. Only tv I have that is 4k. But I can see it switching modes when it happens.

Match rate and range are on. using 4:2:0 as I stated. All match setting in Channels are off, but that one function of watching recorded shows causes the ATV to go into 4:4:4 when when switching between the show and the recordings menu. I have no control over that, other than disabling match range in the ATV which is a non-starter as that kills Dolby Vision on Netflix.

What frame rate is appletv set to insettings? Not talking about 4:2:0

4kSDR. 60 (59.94)

So i had your exact behavior when i set chroma to 4:4:4. Everything would cause the mode to switch. So not sure what is happening unless you toggle it on and off and then force wuit channels?