Remapping channel numbers

let me take a deeper look at this tonight and see if i can figure out what's going on here...i'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like

@kanipek I apologize I still haven't had a chance to look at this...will try to figure it out this weekend.

1 Like

Did anyone end up getting this working in Synology?

Hi @crackers8199 would you mind trying to help me out with the ports? I went through the install instructions and made it all the way up to the end of the docker-compose step, but it failed due to address already in use.

I assume this is because I already have an instance of Channels running on port 8089 and/or there is a conflict with one of my other Docker containers. I was able to get both channels-frontend and channels-backend running by changing the ports, but I don't think I did it right. Can you walk me through it and how the ports need to relate between the different containers.

Here is what I have running currently:

Channels: Existing instance on port 8089
channels-baseball: Local Port 8080, Container Port 8080
pluto-for-channels: Local Port 8081, Container Port 80

channels-frontend: Local Port 8088, Container Port 80
channels-backend: Local Port 8090, Container Port 8089
channels-mapper-db (No port settings)

What do I need to change here to get everything working together as intended?

Thanks!

i was looking for a easy way to change the logos in the guide. ive been trying to read threw all the comments, so i apologize if i missed something.

i ve been using zaptoxml and steve to make custom m3u lists and custom xml guide and custom logos. channels dvr does a great job with mapping xml guide, although they lack in the other 2 topics.so i still need zaptoxml and xteve. i seen this article but it seems a bit involved to just update the logos. it seems i need dockers setup and php . which are 2 topics i dont feel comfortable with.

2 Likes

I'm another Channels newbie taking the plunge with this remapping channels solution. I have the backend setup and added my service Hulu Live and want to go in and do the remapping. Now when I type in the URL for the backend Channels: http://192.168.x.xx:8090 it just takes me to the admin/settings page and I don't know how to get back to the channel mapper view to start mapping channels. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

the channel mapper itself should be on port 80 if you set it up the way it's described in the post

1 Like

@crackers8199 Can you put the guide back up or post into this thread? I was just looking at this days ago and now ready to try and I see the guide is gone.

1 Like

Never mind, I found the guide here. Channels DVR: Remapping Channel Numbers | deedni

4 Likes

thanks for this. i didn't realize the redirect was broken...i'll edit my original post.

Does anyone have this issue, I did the non docker method and downloaded my m3u files from my server. Channel Collection wrong channel number - #2 by mjitkop

1 Like

Just use channel collections and order them they way you want to regardless of the numeric channel number.

1 Like

Has anyone had the php (channels-mapper) app be inaccessible? I run the script at it essentially just sits there in perpetual restarting phase

43097684d6f5   channels-mapper              "docker-php-entrypoi…"   2 minutes ago   Restarting (2) 56 seconds ago                                               channels-mapper

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: Fixed it. Turns out I needed to specify the PHP version in the Mapper Compose file as previously recommended. Apparently I need to do more reading before asking questions. Tool is still fantastic, thanks @crackers8199

makes me sad that it’s been how many years now…. and letting a user define their own channel numbers natively still isn’t a thing.

3 Likes

Yep. Doesn't make sense to me. It's not deal breaking tho as I tend to use Channels Collections often instead

1 Like

i had been asking for it for at least two years before writing this post, too...so you're talking about probably 5-6+ years since it was initially requested.

4 Likes

I just tried to install this and get it working (already having a working frontend server, followed the instructions from the linked site (including adding php:8.0.16-apache-buster to the DockerFile, however I get the following error when I browse to the mapper address:

I can browse to http://192.168.1.233:8090/devices and get a page of data - @crackers8199 would you be able to help?

I won't lie, this is probably a quicker solution, but having to do more than a simple load of a program into Docker kept me from trying this solution.

Instead, I just created a custom channel configuration and manually mapped each channel from the various sources I had into a single "master" source. I then hid the non-master sources in my clients to get the preferred channels I was wanting.

This gives me the added flexibility to modify the channel logos (see broadcast channels as well as ESPN/ESPN2 as examples).

I had originally planned to use a 2nd Channels Server in a Virtual NAS environment to be the original source of channels, export into xTeve, remap the channels and then import that into my main Channels Server, but that seeded like a lot of hand offs and potential failure points so I finally came up with the single Channels Server solution.

My only real gripe is that I use an Android environment and can't "automate" the suppression of the non-used sources in my clients through server side setting as that specific feature is only available in the Apple clients (along with downloads :angry:). But once I got everything setup the way I wanted, it was a once and done activity for 6 TVs, so I can live with that.

I'm sure there's a quicker, easier way to do this but for me this checks all the boxes I was looking for.

1 Like

Thank you @jator for the suggestion. I don’t think this would work for me as I use a HDHR as well as Sat>IP sources. Disabling a HDHR source in Channels has the downside of disabling the channel in HDHR itself :frowning: and the main reason I’m doing this is because I prefer the Sky channel guide (starting at 101) compared to OTA starting at 1.
I’m currently using xTeve (well, the new implementation called Threadfin) but would like to get away from using that

This "solution" has some holes in it. I probably would use this if I'm passing Channels over to JF via Threadfin (or Kodi using the export m3us) tho