Reminder Feature

Can we get a reminder feature? So we can mark shows or movies.

More details would be helpful..

Where are you expecting to set the reminder? Where would you receive it?

We used to have a reminder on our iOS app, but barely anyone used it so we removed it. It's also not that easy to do push notifications and handle multiple devices for reminders.

Why do you need a reminder if you can just record things?

There is times you may not record something. Something you may want to watch live.

For instance a football game is on, but your busy doing multiple things or forget and you get a pop up with options to auto tune to the channel.

Maybe the Grammy awards, the New York Christmas tree....

That’s just a couple examples.

Under android it seems like you can have reminders kick off even if you’re in another app.

1 Like

Integration with the calendar would be better. That can also serve as reminder

Would love a reminder with auto-tune ability. Sometimes I know I'll be watching TV for the next few hours so I don't want to record it, just be reminded.

1 Like

Can we discuss this again? For instance, we have something on pbs playing right now, but plan to watch the news on a different channel in 30 mins. I might zone out thinking about something, look up and bam, I missed the news. I don't want to record either one. To have it pop up a reminder, and autotune over if selected would be cool. Keep it client side, and the app has to be open, and playing for it to work. Maybe this will make the coding part easier?

2 Likes

I do like the idea for reminders, for similar reasons to those @AtoZ0to9 and @Mik3. But I definitely understand that smooth implementation would probably be harder than most people would think. One thing I can think of is determining where the reminders would be displayed (All devices, some? On apple TV you would need to be in the App to get a reminder but on mobiles you could get push notifications. So a bunch to consider).

I actually lean toward something I suggested back when Calendar View was implemented. To provide an iCal link to the recording schedule. Then people could subscribe to the .ics link from the calendar/reminder app of their choice on the devices of their choice and there would be less overhead for Channels. The only thing Channels would need to do would be the creation of an on-demand .ics file for the currently scheduled recording. This would still require setting a recording, but that isn't the worst thing.