Remote access - app vs web?

I grabbed the Channels DVR app, which looks and works great!

It does not function away from my home network (somewhat expected) and I’ve used the web interface.

Question: would the standard Channels app ($14 on App Store) be able to view my device/content remotely, or is web the primary remote option?

Thanks
-mike

Yes.

I’ve actually done this with my iPad. Had an appointment for an X-Ray. While I was waiting in the waiting room, hooked up to the hospital’s WiFi, accessed my DVR at home, and watched an episode of something that had been recorded the night before :slight_smile:

I only forgot to bring my Bluetooth earbuds, so I had to keep the volume down. CC to the rescue!

Thanks jseymour!

Do you happen to know if the app will also use local network, if available? I’ve got no problems buying the channels app, but I’m curious if it will flip between local and [remote] network? Seems silly to have both apps.

Thanks!

The Channels app and the Channels DVR app are basically the same, and both can access your recordings and live streams away from your house. If you can’t access when you’re not at home that’s an issue that can be worked out, you don’t need to buy the app.

1 Like

Channels app usage is now offered free to those using the Channels DVR. Just be sure to pick the free version.

The Channels DVR app works outside your home. If it’s not working please elaborate on what’s not working and what error messages are shown.

sigh My bad. Disregard my earlier comments, @nicholsmp. When you wrote “Channels DVR app” my mind saw “Channels DVR Server” and that you were looking for an app to use with it.

@timstephens24 is correct: If one works, so will the other. The only difference between them is the DVR version requires an active subscription to the DVR service. (Maybe also a functioning DVR? Not clear on that part.)

Thank you all for your info/replies!

It does indeed work - I had to auth the app first. (/slaps forehead) :slight_smile:

2 Likes