Remote access broken overnight -

Upfront - I’ve ben having trouble with CDVR, but I don’t know why. Remotely, we started having issues with audio and video staying synced - irritating, but it was only on Channels, so we had other online options - we just couldn’t easily watch the local news, or any of our library without occasionally exiting Channels so we could get things re-synced. I blamed Tailscale, and turning it off on all devices ( I thought ) had made our connection better - but - I went ahead and reduced the resolution for remote streaming, added ram to the NAS, and generally checked everything I could think of at home.

We get to the cabin yesterday - Channels seems to be working better - we’re watching a couple of recorded shows, watch a little live TV, all good, and go to bed - next morning, turn on TV, see all our recordings, see the local guide, what’s on now, etc, but trying to view anything we get errors. Trying to watch live we get -

The connection to Channels DVR Server had a problem. Press play to try again. (Transcoder)

Couldn't find playlist: /Volumes/NASFolder/ChannelsTV/Streaming/ch7.1-dANY-e39266a4bd5c/remux/stream.m3u8: stat /Volumes/NASFolder/ ChannelsTV/Streaming/ch7.1-dANY-e39266a4bd5c/remux/stream.m3u8: no

this was just a random channel, as I tried it on a few to see if it was channel specific. I then tried to watch a recorded show, and it gave us an error again -

The connection to Channels DVR Server had a problem. Press play to try again. (Transcoder)

It’s frustrating to be a couple hundred miles from the server (a M1 mini, with database on Synology NAS) and have everything working pretty darn reasonably that evening, only to wake up and have it all be non-op. I wanna blame installing Tailscale, but that worked pretty well initially, maybe its an update on the Synology NAS? Maybe the Sequoia update? How do I tell? And the fact that it sees the server, knows all the recordings, gets all the channel data for live TV, but nothing plays - very frustrating. ( Channels speedtest option wireless says 25.6ms - 59.8 d, 32.8 u )

Please help me understand what is going on, and what the easiest way is to get is all working again!

What's the rest of the error message?
Is it related to your Mac losing the NAS mount?

Thats all the message that I get on the screen - it could be a NAS connection problem, but thats

hard to check remotely -

I'm assuming the end of that error msg is "no such file or directory"

If you can't remote in to the NAS, perhaps submitting diagnostics from the client also submits them from the DVR Server?

Not really, since you have remote streaming enabled all you have to do is go to http://my.channelsdvr.net/ in any browser and login.
You can see everything in the logs along with everything else server wise.

2 Likes

To potentially close this - I think a lot of my problems came from the Sequoia update, and possibly a Synology update. Connections to external drives, including the NAS, were not being maintained, or re-connecting after a reboot. This, despite them working perfectly for quite sometime prior to these updates. So, I took all my channels data and moved it to a USB drive connected to the mini, and after turning on/off/on/off the access privileges repeatedly, I managed to get the drive to be recognized after a reboot. This seems to have solved all local problems, and also made my whole Channels/AppleTV system much more responsive. Local remote access has been solid, with no more transcoder problems, and I hope to soon test system responsiveness at my remote-remote location.

Sequoia has been the most problematic update I’ve ever experienced. It created problems with my SecuritySpy system, my logitech media server (I still have a couple slim devices running after xx years) as well as my Channels - but I’m hoping it’s behind me -