Remote DVR: problems watching recordings (spinner when resuming)

Anyone having problem streaming remotely in the iOS Apps? I can’t view any of my recorded shows but can view live tv fine. I can also view recorded show remotely through safari on ios and Mac. When I try to watch recorded shows remotely using the app on ios, I get the spinner and the show never starts. I rebooted my WD PR2100 to no avail. My ip has not changed. Just started after I updated this morning. I can get to my.channelsdvr.net without any issue too.

Same thing is happening to me as well. I messed with the Cellular Streaming rate of 360p 0.7Mbps and switched it around, and could get a recorded video to play as long as it was one that I hadn’t already tried playing before. So it seems like there is something hit or miss about the transcoding rate and video playback.

Please check the DVR web ui Log tab for any errors shown after you tried to watch a recording and it didn’t work. Also if you try on the Beta app hit Submit Diagnostics on the Settings tab.

When it just sits there and spins nothing ever shows up on the log tab in the DVR web interface. I switched the encoding to 720p 2Mbps and was able to get one of the videos to play and this is what it was showing:

2017/10/18 15:55:28 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-1500 at 0s (encoder=libx264, resolution=720, deinterlacer=blend, bitrate=2000)
[mpegts @ 0x29d3460] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 1)
[mpegts @ 0x29d3460] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 2)
[mpegts @ 0x29d3460] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 3)
[ac3 @ 0x2a2e240] expacc 125 is out-of-range
[ac3 @ 0x2a2e240] error decoding the audio block
[mpeg2video @ 0x2a2b0a0] ac-tex damaged at 89 39
[mpeg2video @ 0x2a2b0a0] Warning MVs not available

The interesting thing is that I can keep playing that show as long as I keep those settings the same, but if I change the rate it won’t play anymore. I’ve found other shows that only seem to work at other rates as well. And whenever they don’t work nothing shows up in the logs. Here’s another one from when I changed the rate back to the 360p, played it, stopped it, and was able to play it again. But other videos would just sit there and spin.

2017/10/18 16:01:40 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-1843 at 0s (encoder=libx264, resolution=360, deinterlacer=blend, bitrate=700)
[mpegts @ 0x2a16460] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 2)
2017/10/18 16:01:58 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session file-1843 @ 1m10.470411s
2017/10/18 16:02:23 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-1843 at 0s (encoder=libx264, resolution=360, deinterlacer=blend, bitrate=700)
[mpegts @ 0x1a80460] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 2)
2017/10/18 16:02:31 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session file-1843 @ 32.999644s

Ah, you’re right. It will play a recorded show that I have not attempted to play. Once I stop a recording and try to play it again…SPINNER.

1 Like

So if you mark as watched and play from the beginning it’s fine.

But if you try to resume it just spins and never starts playing? Is it spinning on a black screen or is there a stick picture behind it?

Can you please try the latest beta and then click Submit Diagnostics on the Settings tab.

Testing in the latest beta: I marked a recording that was getting the spinner as watched and then marked it as unwatched, tried to play and still got just the spinner on a black screen. I submitted my diagnostic logs for beta.

Thanks for the diagnostics, it was helpful to track down the problem.

Can you try to update your DVR to latest prerelease and see if it fixes the issue. On the DVR web settings page, HOLD DOWN SHIFT and click on Check for Updates. It should download an update and restart automatically.

Then try playing those same recordings again and submit diagnostics again afterwards.

Ok…downloading update now. Crap…out of habit I just clicked on check for update(without holding down SHIFT) and it downloaded 2017.10.20.2232. I’m guessing that’s not the prerelease version.

That’s fine, I released that build after the pre-release and it has the fix.

I tired to play the two recordings that I previously wasn’t able to play but still got the spinner on a black screen. This time I was able to change the internet streaming setting to the 240p or 360p and they both played. I checked my upload speed and it’s consistantly at 10MBPS or above. I can play any show I hadn’t started at 720P fine…and i’m able to stop and resume playing them. So it may just be the previous two that will not play for some reason and the update fixed the others?

I’m getting this now.

Using v10.10614 beta

Can’t view the logs just now I’m away from the house.

Update: stopped and started again and it cleared up

I’m experiencing this same thing, but I’m trying within my own network.

Seems to be only when resuming a show WHILE it’s actively recording. I can properly play a show while it’s being recorded when playing the first time. If I back out of the player and then resume playing the recording, I just get the spinning buffer icon indefinitely. I’ve tried with and without transcoding.

I have also noticed that when I resume the playback, the progress bar shows it’s at the point where “live” is, whereas I would left off a lot earlier in the recording.

I’m currently on DVR ver 2017.10.22.0430 and latest beta iPhone client.

Here’s what’s showing in the log:
2017/10/24 08:36:39 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-266 at 21m3s (encoder=h264_vaapi, resolution=1080, deinterlacer=hardware, bitrate=8000)
libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
[mpegts @ 0x382a9c0] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 1)
[mpegts @ 0x382a9c0] Dropped corrupted packet (stream = 2)
2017/10/24 08:36:40 [HLS] Pausing transcoder (out: 21m5.602611s, view: 21m5s)…

1 Like

The original bug reported here has been fixed in the latest beta, and also submitted to the App Store. Please try out the latest build and let me know if it works as expected now.

The bug @stephen8179 reported about in-progress recordings has not yet been addressed.

1 Like

I can confirm that this is fixed in the beta!! Thanks!!

1 Like

Between updating to DVR 2017.10.24.2330 and the latest iOS beta client my issue seems to be fixed also, even though you mentioned it hasn’t been addressed yet.

Really even for in-progress recordings? When you first start watching doesn’t it start playing from the end?

Yes, it does seem to be fixed for my use-case.

To re-iterate, my issue was that for in-progress recordings (using wifi on same network as DVR), when I first played the recording on my iPhone, it would play from the start fine. When I backed out of playback and started watching the in-progress recording again, it would show buffering icon indefinitely, while showing the progress bar at the “live” part of the recording.

I’m now able to start and stop watching in-progress recordings fine on my iPhone.

1 Like

I'm experiencing a similar issue to this. Here is my use case. I am recording a baseball game and was watching it behind live using my Windows PC web browser. I left it paused for about an hour now. I am attempting to resume the recording from my Apple tv in the same house on the same wifi network, but I'm getting the spinning wheel that go away. I've tried resuming, starting from tnt beginning, marking it as watched, and then marking it as unwatched again. Nothing helps. I am unable to get to the windows PC to click stop in the web browser to see if that clears everything up as the kids are sleeping, and i won't dare go near their rooms! I submitted diagnostics from my apple tv.

It looks like your MBL source is having issues and is not continuing to stream data to Channels consistently.