Remote (offsite) access to web interface

Access to the web interface is working pretty well when coming from devices on the inside network.

When connecting to the DVR from outside the network (the ports ARE forwarded correctly and the correct external IP is displayed and detected in the log). My router is also showing the upnp mapping and requests were successful.I initially get the screen to authenticate to the community web site, then once logged in, I get a screen “Authorization Code” with a “get authorization code” link. When the link is selected it responds with an “Oauth authorization required” and a long authorization string.

You need to copy the long string, paste it into the DVR page and hit enter. That page needs to be made more user friendly.

Is there a reason we need that auth string? It’s really a pinch point for other family members who don’t have access to my channels login info…

Any progress on the authorization (login) process? I want to be able to share access with a friend for remote viewing.

If the secure login was not there, then anyone on the internet would be able to log in to your DVR and manipulate your recordings / settings.

1 Like

It true, and it’s awesome, but it’s currently a PITA.

I have to redo it every time I visit too cause I don’t keep any cookies and run in private browsing exclusively.

I’m just dying for iPhone integration so I can keep my auth in that.

What is the authorization checking against? Is it looking to see that the person is logged into community.getchannels.com? When I try to let my friend log in he gets the authorization code, and cuts and pastes it, and then it says error - unauthorized, so I’m curious what it takes to have that string allow authorization.

It’s checking to make sure you’re the one logging in, otherwise anyone on the forum could access your DVR.

Guest access is a planned feature but there’s no ETA yet as we’ve been quite busy with bugs and other priorities.

I must be an idiot…I can’t find where to paste this auth string

There’s a large input box above the link to get the code

I have the code…I can’t find where to put the code.

Try to access your DVR, and paste the code into the text box that appears

Got it…I didn’t realize I had to try to access the DVR externally again. Thanks I’m in. Will play around with this and see how it works.