Remote on Android Tablet for Channels

I'm trying to setup a remote to work on Channels running on an Android Tablet.

Someone suggested I try paring an Amazon FireStick remote with my tablet.

It actually worked while running Netflix, but when I went to play a Channels recording on the tablet, I got the "Where do you want to watch" pop-up.

The problem is that the tablet is not one of the choices. If I select one of my TVs with a FireStick, I can watch and control things.

Is there any way to make things work for having a remote while playing Channels on the tablet?

I think you are being asked are you on your home network or on the road.

No, that is NOT what I'm being asked. If you start up channels on a cell phone while connected to your home network, you get asked "Where do you want to watch?", and one of the options is "Phone". Normally this question does not come up on the tablet, but it does when the remote is paired with the tablet. However, when it comes up on the tablet, the tablet is not one of the choices.

I just need to know if there is any way to make the tablet the display device with the remote connected.

Chose phone. Channels is calling your Android Tablet a phone as it is not checking if on a tablet or phone.

No not at this time

Are you doing this on a Phone or a table? I use a fire tv remote on my android tablet (Galaxy Tab A) and never seen a prompt like that. The remote mostly works. The tablet interface SUCKS, but the remote works.

Also have you tried launching the app and then connecting the remote?

I believe if Play to your TV is Off, then it will play in your tablet without asking.

My tablet has that set to on. It always plays on the tablet.

"Phone" is not one of the options.

I'm on a tablet. You only get the prompt if you are on a WiFi network and it finds other devices (my other FireSticks) active on the network. This gives you the option of casting the playback to the big screen.

This came very close to working. Using your suggestion, I did get it to play on the tablet while the remote was working, but it only displays in a small window, kind of looking like it is a cell phone emulator running on the tablet. All attempts to make it full screen failed.

Yes, mine was on. I turned it off and the prompt went away, but as soon as the remote connects, the display becomes an image like a cell phone held vertically with a tiny image in the center. The remote does work in this mode, but the image is not usable.

As an aside, Netflix and Amazon Prime will go to full screen with the remote working. Fubo, Hulu, and Paramount will not.

Works perfectly on my Fire Tab 10.

Can you provide details?
What version of Android OS?
Are you using Channels Beta?
What remote are you using?
What sequence of steps do you go through to connect the remote and start Channels?
Is you tablet on the same subnet as your server?

Whatever the latest FireOS is, and I'm using a FireTV remote, and not using Channels beta. No specific sequence of steps, just turn play to TV off and play a show.

It looks like you're running the phone version on the tablet. What tablet is that? I have no option other then a full screen app.

My understanding is there is only one android version, and it detects whether its running on a TV, Phone, or Tablet and sets up based on that.

Problem Solved!

The solution came from Jared Newman author of Cord Cutter Weekly and Aadvisorator newsletters.

Jarad Wrote:

"Ahah. It looks like they offer a "Productivity Mode" that automatically
activates when a keyboard is detected; the system probably thinks the
remote is a keyboard.

Try heading to Settings > Productivity Mode and then turning all the
switches off."

I turned Productivity Mode off and everything works as expected.

2 Likes