Remote Viewing Stutters

I was hoping the 1517+/1817+ would have a CPU that would support hardware transcoding, but they stuck the same old CPU from the 1515+/1815+ in the new hardware. Currently I just run the ChannelsDVR on my iMac, and store all the episodes/movies on my NAS. I don’t have a problem doing that, so something like an Intel NUC7i5BNH would be good to run the DVR on, while storing everything on the NAS.

I see, Ive been going about this all wrong, looks like i’m going to have build a Transcoder box. and save everything to the NAS. thanks for your input!

1 Like

Question also, what would determine (Hardware) the amount of concurrent streams I’d be allowed to have?

The Synology DS-218+/718+/918+ all have Intel Celeron with Quick Sync, if you’re looking for an all-in-one solution.

The DS416play and DS418play also have Intel Celeron inside.

@timstephens24 Have you tried Plex on that NAS? Is it able to transcode any better?

I had Plex on it a long time ago, and it was the same. The CPU is just too low powered for most video conversion.

I was able to get it to work on the 1515+ and was watching the Yankee game for a little while, but then I entered an area with poor cell phone service, so it was working better.

and then the update came out lol, and now I can’t test it, either way I think im going to invest into a NUC, or maybe hook up an old computer and see how that pans out.

thanks again for all your help!

@BoingoBoing I can re-enable playback in the app if you want to test further and let me know if its good enough to use. I’m also looking into some performance improvements for the software encoder which may improve support on the newer Intel Atom.

Yeah, I could test this out for you, Id like to get this to work, and if at the end I need to get a dedicated pc Ill advise on that as well.

The latest build of the DVR should let you stream again, and has some perf improvements. Let me know how it works out for you.

To update, visit the DVR settings web page and click Check For Updates.

There were some more speed improvements in the latest DVR. Let me know how streaming is working for you at various rates.

@BoingoBoing Any updates on how this is working on your Synology?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Synology DS-218+ hardware trancoding