Remote viewing using Apple TV

My home setup with channels DVR running on mac mini is great. However, we live in a small town with only a few OTA channels available. My parents live in a large city with 40+ OTA channels available including PBS which I do not have. I was going to purchase them a DS718+ and HDHR so I could view PBS, etc. They have 1gbps up/down internet.

How would I use my apple tv to connect to their channels DVR and would this work?
Thanks.

Click Connect to DVR and follow the instructions

Thanks. To switch back and forth do I just go to settings and select or search for the other server?

Yea you would need to click Connect again and enter the local server.

Actually I'm not sure if the app will allow connecting to a remote DVR if you have a local DVR. You may need to disable Bonjour on the local DVR web ui

Actually I'm not sure if the app will allow connecting to a remote DVR if you have a local DVR. You may need to disable Bonjour on the local DVR web ui

I'm pretty sure that you're right. The app kind of freaks out when you try to connect to a remote DVR but a local DVR is visible. (I've never reported the issue before because it's such a weird use case, but I guess I'm not the only person who ran into it...)

@cemjack: For what it's worth, if your parents have 1gbit up, and you have a decent (50mbit+ down) internet connection where you are, you probably can get away with not transcoding at all :slight_smile: . So a DS718 might be overkill...you can probably get by with a cheaper NAS without transcoding hardware. (That being said: if you want transcoding for mobile viewing over cellular, or if your home internet connection has a monthly data limit, or if you want faster commercial detection, then it's still worth spending extra money for a faster NAS.)

we both have 1gb up/down so maybe I'll go with the DS218+

I have both apple Tv and fire TV - maybe I could set the appleTV for my channels DVR server and the fireTV for my parents??