Replacing Channels DVR Hard Drive

I have my Channels DVR storage on an internal Windows hard drive. The DVR recordings folder is not on the same drive as the Channels Server program. I am quickly running out of space and plan on installing a new internal hard drive and would like to move all of my existing recordings/content there (and have new content saved there as well). What is the best/easiest way to do this? Would it be as simple as the following?

1. Install new hard drive and format it appropriately.
  2. Save a new Channels DVR database backup (by clicking the save database backup).
  3. Copy the entire Channels DVR folder from the old drive to the new drive.
  4. Un-check the DVR box in the basic setup.
  5. Select the new drive DVR folder that I just copied over.
  6. Re-check the DVR box in the basic setup.

Would that move everything over and keep all my shows, season passes, watched status, etc.? Anything else I am missing?

5 Likes

Yep that's right and will work just fine

1 Like

FWIW, what you describe is preceisely what I did about 3 days ago to upgrade the external harddrive I use with Channels DVR. Worked flawlessly.

4 Likes

Help needed to replace Hard Drive on NVIDIA Shield using Channels DVR.
What is the recommended procedure when using TVE Channels as well as OTA Channels DVR. Shield is 2018 model. All SFW is auto updated.
Don't need to save TV recordings, but like to save season pass data, FAVs, etc. data so as not to have a need for system rebuild.
Thanks in advance for your help. New experience for me.

1 Like

I just upgraded my NVIDIA Shield Pro from 1TB HDD to a 1TB SSD:

1. Make sure you delete "Trash" folder; no need to copy these over
  2. Used Settings>About to power down the NVIDIA Shield Pro
  3. Plugged both drives into Win 10 PC
  4. Made sure the 1TB SSD was exFAT format
  5. Copied all files/folders from HDD to SSD - took a bit of time
  6. Plugged SSD back into NVIDIA Shield Pro
  7. Turned NVIDIA Shield Pro on
  8. The path to DVR folder changed, so updated Basic Setup>DVR
  9. Checked that all my passes and recording were accessible

The key reason for the change was to hopefully reduce commercial detection time by at least 5X aka from 10 mins down to 2 mins of time.

1 Like

Commercial detection is primarily CPU/processor dependent. A different hard drive will have minimal impact upon detection speed.

My initial evals confirm SSD has minimal impact on detection speed :frowning:

On the other hand, major difference in ability to record 3 items from HDHR Prime & 1 from TVE in parallel with SSD :slight_smile: , whereas HDD had glitches :frowning:

2 Likes

I have a question. I have 4 hard drives with movies. I want to move all 4 hard drives into one. When I do that will all the virtual channels of my movies no longer work? Since the path is different and wouldn’t it then reread all the movies again since they are on a new hard drive causing duplicates? Is there a way to move them all to one hard drive and keep my collections/virtual channels the same? Just redirect the path?

1 Like

Please screenshot your current settings for local content.