Repurposing SERVIO as an external drive for RPi4

I have SERVIO with a 2TB drive. Any pointers on how to use it as an external storage for RPi4? I obviously will not be needing the DVR functionality provided by SERVIO.

No.

Drives directly attached to HDHomeRun units (Servio, Scribe, Flex) can ONLY be used by SiliconDust's DVR. There is no way to use them with third-party software.

I think I didn't make myself clear. I am willing to remove the drive from SERVIO. I am guessing I would need some kind of enclosure to connect the drive to RPI4. Looking for suggestions.

If you want to remove the drive, then it is just a standard drive. If you're going to put it in an enclosure for use with a Pi though, that's a little different. Firstly, make sure your enclosure has its power supply. Secondly, the Pi has been known to not work well with many different enclosures.

Here's a post documenting some adapters and issues:

As always, I recommend doing additional research to ensure your choices will actually work.

That is a little drastic to remove the drive from the Servio to use in channels. You lose your DVR capability in case something drastic happens to your Channels DVR server.

I am a TiVo user so no worries about the DVR capability. I was looking for an upgrade path from TiVo and ran into HDHomeRun first. It seems Channels is a required component for WAF.

1 Like

LOL, yes, yes it is.

For the record I used Sabrent enclosure https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ3UJ2S/

The SERVIO drive is formatted with xfs and gets over 100MB/s for sequential reads and writes.

Thinking about adding another HDHR device to the mix.