Request: Add Safari View Controller while a channel is being viewed in side by side mode

The inability to have picture in picture is disappointing, but understandable. I, like many, would like to maximize the usable space on my iPad Pro while in side by side multitasking mode. Would it be possible to add an option to shift the playback window up to the top and include a Safari view below it? Perhaps there could be tabs to switch between Safari and the EPG. I think this would be a good compromise for those who desire PIP.

I understand the PIP Problem because Apple Video Player does not support MPEG2. But what about MPEG4 with the HDHR Extend or with maybe the new DVR server doing the encoding so that the Apple Native Video Player could be used?

1 Like

The Extend outputs mpeg4, but not in a format compatible with the Apple player.

Converting using our DVR server is possible, but only if you’re running it on a computer with a powerful cpu. Most NAS cannot handle it (which is why Plex doesn’t run on many low powered NAS).

Some of the Synology NAS have built in Hardware Transcoding but if necessary I would use a Mac Mini if it had a true benefit like PIP. However, Synology probably only handles the DVR Files and not live streams so maybe a Mac Mini overall would be better. EyeTV had a USB3 Device to do this on a Mac Mini which I got but still the transcoding took a bit of time. So in the end not sure this is something I would use.

Example:
Any container or file extension in 4K 2160p (4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160) with codecs H.265 (HEVC) and H.264 (AVC), and in 1080p with codecs H.265 (HEVC), H.264 (AVC), MPEG-2 and VC-1 can be transcoded up to 1080p by Synology NAS in 4K Group 1. The maximum supported frame rate per second (FPS) is 30. These containers can be MKV, MP4, AVI, TS, MPG, WMV and more. However, these containers/file extensions might come in codecs other than the four mentioned. In that case, videos cannot be transcoded to 1080p. Please refer to this article for more information on the container formats.