Request: Channel Numbers?

I’ve never been able to get my wife out of the 1980’s when it comes to TV - she never used the guides with cable, and only wants to be able to punch in a number and have it go to that channel. I can’t get her to ditch the HDHR app because of that.

Is numeric channels input a feature that can be added?

Also it would be nice if there was an option for the channel up/down to just go between favorites. I’m using an antenna now and for every good HD channel there are three lame SD channels playing old shows from the 1980s - everybody’s stuck in the 80s!

1 Like

For the latter issue: Go to my.hdhomerun.com with a browser, select NN Channels from near the upper-left, and “star” the channels you want to be favourites.

Then, in both the On Now and grid guides you can select to see just the favourites, all, etc.

I have favorites set, but my remote has a channel up/down and Channels ignores the favorites and goes up/down to the next channel, favorite or not.

I would like this too - it’s the only feature I miss from the Google-made Live Channels app. With my Harmony remote connected as a Bluetooth device, I could punch in numbers to jump right to a channel.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your request, but:

In addition to @jseymour’s response above.

When viewing a channel, press the down (d-Pad)…This will result in icon display at top of your favorites.
Then you can navigate left/right (d-Pad) in order to select a new channel.

We plan to add number entry support for android remotes with number keys.

2 Likes

Can you also test with a Harmony? Number entry will be a welcome addition for many. Thanks

1 Like

Number key support would be most welcome. If you need beta testers I’m sure you’ll have more than a handful.

1 Like

Yep, another person with a Harmony Remote here that would like number inputs.
Harmony 650, Mi Box, and Flirc usb receiver

Works well with Live Channels in Android TV

2 Likes

Another huge, massive ‘me too’ on finding a way to get this working with Harmony. I can’t quite wrap my head around it right now, and it may be impossible since many devices don’t have number support and therefore may not have the proper button-mapping available, but would be great if it’s an option.That would be a major feature implementation and I believe could help pave the way for Harmony Hub-based Alexa voice controls? Just thinking way down the pipeline…

1 Like

Yep, I can control Live Channels with Alexa and my Broadlink RM3 right now. Saying “Alexa, turn tv to ESPN” sends a command to the Broadlink device, which sends out an IR signal with the channel number. It’s pretty sweet. If channel numbers are added to Channels, I wouldn’t have to change anything with my setup and it would be ready to go as is.

If you already have some automation setup, you can use the Channels API and not have to mess with the IR transmitter at all. One http request will tune the app to the desired channel, and even open the app and turn on your TV automatically.

See https://getchannels.com/api/

Yeah that’s above my pay grade lol. I see the home assistant integration is on there, but I’m running a smartthings hub. I haven’t the first clue how to use the Channels API. Is it basically something that sends HTTP requests to the client that is running channels? Or does the client send the http request to the backend server running on my NAS? I’ll try to read up on it and see if I can get something working. Thanks for the heads up though!

Edit: Okay, I kinda get it. The request is sent to the client, and not the server. If I have some time this weekend, I’ll tinker around with smartthings and see if I can create a custom device that sends out http requests. I think that would integrate with Alexa, and at a minimum, I could create custom routines to change the channels.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re on the right track. If you get something working, post it in the #hacks forum so others can try it out. For instance like Channels + Siri Shortcuts

1 Like

Looking forward to your “tinkering”. This would be awesome

Wanted to bump this up.

Direct quote from wife: “Really annoying to not be able to just key in a channel, especially on the guide”

2 Likes

Interesting, I never thought about adding it to the guide too.

1 Like

I have heard this exact same feedback in my house as well. Other guides let you punch in a number to jump to that channel position in the guide.

I’ve added channel entry on the Guide tab for the next beta build. If it works well then we can expand to the video player as well.

1 Like

Which beta? I’m on 143