Request: Channels TV

Not sure if it has been suggested before.

Include a package of streaming channels in the base installation of Channels DVR just like Samsung, LG, Plex do. Call it Channels TV if marketing thinks consumers will understand what it is. Or maybe Channels Channels.

If you think programmers would balk at being on a recording platform. Maybe you can disable recording or auto-commercial skip for those who protest.

Also, include a Channels DVR channel that streams tutorials / updates 24/7 like Dish Network channel 201 or whatever.

This part. I like. I think that is a nifty idea.

When my dad did not pay the satellite bill. The tutorial/intro channel still worked.

The part about including tv channels such as pluto/plex/samsung I am sure would have the aquire contracts/legal gibberish.

That would be a major headache as I see for Channels DVR by including these as part of Channels DVR. There are already great addons for this... supported by the publishers.

3 Likes

This is a big "hell naw".

2 Likes

Just make it all optional, off by default, and manual to opt-in/enable. The annoying thing with PLEX is forcing it down everyone's throat and making it keep re-enabling after I. Keep. Disabling. It.

My thought was that when Channels expands to a less technical customer base, the uncustomized experience would showcase why Channels blows other OTA-only DVRs out of the water. Like Syplex said, we can turn it off.

Is this referring to the Docker solutions?

and non Docker solutions. Why do you think KODI does not include all their plugins because it would be shutdown in no time.They supply the bare bones, and it is up to the users what they do with it. If Channels DVR included free AD supported services, the case can then be made that Channels DVR would be charging for free services. Leave it to the users then you have no problem.

Well, some are going to Say PLEX does this and it Charges folks... but Plex also is free to just watch AD supported media.

1 Like

I actualy think there being a preloaded channel that plays CDVR tutorials videos on loop is brilliant.

But the whole including FAST channels by default is not a good idea.

1 Like