Request: option to increase audio bitrate when watching via the server webpage

I often watch live or recordings through the server web page. I can definitely hear low-bitrate, overly compressed audio through my speakers. Is there a chance we could have an option to toggle the bitrate to a higher quality mode there? I'm not talking lossless, just something like 256kbs AAC. Currently it sounds like 128 or worse. In comparison, when viewed through my Apple TV it sounds fine, so I assume it's being compressed for the web viewer.

What bitrate are you selecting in the browser?

Could you update to the latest DVR Beta and see if the behavior is any better?

wait, how do I select the bitrate???

On the DVR Status page scroll down to Web Player.

Ah right. I thought you meant a specific audio bitrate setting. I had it set to 720p / 6mbps, which should still be quite high quality. I've just changed it to the max settings 1080p / 10mbps. In all honesty, the audio doesn't sound any better though.

You've got me curious if you can tell the difference between 256k and 128k audio (not that it's what the issue is here).
I know you can tell with lossless formats, but is this cable or ota or imported formats?

There are a few settings and depends on if you're viewing/streaming locally or remotely.
DVR web UI
Web Player->Server Quality
Transcoder->Adaptive Streaming
Experimental->Adaptive Streaming for Live TV
Experimental->Web Player Adaptive Streaming

I can definitely tell the difference between low bitrate and high bitrate audio. It's especially evident when people are talking, the sound the letter 'S' makes often sounds 'swishy' at low bitrates - same thing happens with a cymbal crash in low bitrate music.

I'm streaming locally – actually from the same computer that's running the server software. All of the experimental features are off.

I do the same with a local Firefox browser with settings at default of 1080p, 10Mbps, is your source Cable, OTA., TVE or imported?

The audio bitrate for a 6mbit stream is 192kbit AAC. The audio bitrate for the 8mbit stream is 256kbit AAC.

What browser are you using?

Firefox on windows. Also sounds the same on Safari on my Mac. Good to know that the 8mbps is 256 AAC! It could possibly just be the quality of the audio coming from the HDHomeRun I guess, like before it even hits the server. But weirdly it doesn't sound bad on my TV with a decent 5.1 speaker setup. I dunno. I give up :slight_smile:

Maybe I'm just being over sensitive haha. It's not a big deal in all honesty. Maybe it would be nice to have the audio bitrate listed next to the video bitrate, just to give people more information on what they're receiving.