Restart Button on Server

Yes. Unfortunately, Channels DVR server running on the Shield after the v9/Android 11 update. The DVR server crashes all too frequently while the Shield itself and many apps keep running. A soft restart of the DVR server from an update takes about 5 sec vs. having to reboot the Shield. As a test, I have done an update/restart of the DVR server while recording a program and it immediately resumes the recording and appears to not miss a beat upon playback.

You can stop/start from the DVR Server app on the SHIELD too.

Does that actually fix the issue when the SHIELD becomes unresponsive? Because from what I've heard you need to reboot because the storage becomes disconnected. Restarting the DVR software won't help if that is the case. Other apps keep working because they don't use the storage.

Yes, you are correct and after a little thought I realized a restart "button" on the web interface would be useless because once the server crashes the web interface is inaccessible. So -- never mind.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your second question about restarting the DVR server vs. restarting the Shield because I've removed it from the Shield and am currently running it from my Media-PC. I can tell you that after a server crash, I did check the Shield Storage setting and it showed the external storage to still be online. My external storage is a 1TB SSD formated as exFAT.

1 Like

I just added +1 to vote.

My reasoning. I constantly badger mods for more features I don't need or use. So why not request one more.

Use case for restarting server.

When I did the bulk add of strmlinks (That mod advised me not to do) my server stopped responding 100%. I waited like 1 whole minute. Got impatient and restarted server.

Psperry said "a restart button might be in the super user category"

Ummmm... Is anyone who isnt a super user setting up and maintaining channels server? The "competence" of each super user is questionable. Such as me. I do lots of dumb things on here. Like ignore mods and attempt to import many thousands of strmlnks all in one go.

But truth be told. Anyone competent enough to setup server should be competent enough to manually restart a program.

So please ignore my +1 vote.

@psperry
"I made fresh guacamole. Yum."
Are you going to share you guacamole? Also may I have some chips too.

2 Likes

There was once (a few years ago) a bug that caused a memory leak and would result in the server loading things more slowly after some time had passed (multiple days). Killing and reopening the app (when idle) would fix the symptoms. But @maddox fixed the bug and now there is no reason to restart the server... except for upgrades.

When trying to resolve Xfinity TVE issues in the past, I always removed the source, and restarted the server before readding the source. Something in my head compelled me to do so.

1 Like