Restart Server Option

@tmm1 has are already posted restart commands in this thread. If you want to, you could put it in a crontab or other scheduled task. I used to use this back when there an issue that made the DVR get slow after a few days. But that was fixed a long time ago and the current versions work great and I no longer restart them, unless doing an upgrade.

Did the button to restart the server from the webpage get removed? i can't find it now

I'm looking for it also. Server upgrades aside, I've found that (as discussed elsewhere, e.g. Tru TV TVE Error - #7 by skipt) some channels, notably TNT and TRU, lose authentication but it can be recovered by restarting the server. If I could restart the server via the web UI, I could use a browser on any phone to get to the CDVR Server UI and do the restart.

While not in the web UI, if you have SSH access to your home network, you can use cURL (or whichever equivalent you prefer) to PUT /updater/force/restart.

(I just verified, and was able to use Prompt on my iPhone to force my DVR server to restart, without needing to restart its container or the machine hosting it. On Android, my preferred client is the classic ConnectBot.)

I suspect that this is coincidence. We have not observed situations with the DVR where restarting it would resolve issues and based on the implementation of TVE, I don't see how restarting the DVR would have an impact on this error.

All I can say is about 3 times out of 10 it has brought TNT and TRU back.

I think that says more about WBD's backend auth situation than anything else.

Sometimes things appear to be correlated that end up having no relationship. :man_shrugging:t3:

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Can you provide some detail on "the WBD backend auth situation"?

For a CDVR Server running on Win 10, what provides the SSH target on the Win 10 side of the SSH connection?

1 Like

Windows includes OpenSSH. Go into the settings and enable the SSH service.

(Sorry, I can't give more info beyond that, as I don't use Windows.)

I used Copilot on Windows 11 and asked the question: "How to enable the SSH service on Windows 10?"
These steps seem to differ on Windows 11 so I can't verify how accurate they are for Windows 10, but hopefully should give a general idea.

Copilot's answer:

Sure, here are the steps to enable the SSH service on Windows 10:

1. Press the Search button and type “Optional feature”.
  2. Click “Add a feature” in Settings.
  3. Install the Windows OpenSSH Client.
  4. After installation, open the Services desktop app (Select Start, type services.msc in the search box, and then select the Service app or press ENTER).
  5. In the details pane, double-click OpenSSH SSH Server.
  6. On the General tab, from the Startup type drop-down menu, select Automatic and then select Ok.
  7. To start the service, select Start.

Please note that this feature is in preview. The latest builds of Windows 10 and Windows 11 include a built-in SSH server and client that are based on OpenSSH. OpenSSH encrypts all traffic between client and server to eliminate eavesdropping, connection hijacking, and other attacks. An OpenSSH-compatible client can be used to connect to Windows Server and Windows client devices.

I can help you open the Services app. You can interact with the dialogue box to confirm your choice.

Why not just use mobaxterm ...

MobaXterm Xserver with SSH, telnet, RDP, VNC and X11 - Download (mobatek.net)

1 Like

Placebo effect does not effect just humans. Sometimes computers need a sugar pill too so they think they are fixed

I have definatly had times where CDVR became completely unresponsive (clients refused connect) and restarting the server fixed the issue. I always chalked this up to more of a issue with my own network and not a CDVR problem. However the restarting of server worked. This has only happened a couple times ever. But restarting is tech advice 101. Is something not working? Did you restart the app/program/machine?

There are other uses of doing a restart from the UI like kicking out an Apple TV connection that was left on in the house. It was nice having this feature in the UI before. Anyway it could be added back, at least in the troubleshooting section of the UI?

Just an FYI, restart (or shutdown) of one or more instances of Channels DVR is available through OliveTin-for-Channels -- along with a whole bunch of other handy stuff :slight_smile::

1 Like

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it. I don't do anything special with channels right now but I think people would still like a restart button baked into the UI for troubleshooting purposes.

Is there an app for IOS for OliveTin?

No iOS app, but it works fine in an iOS browser. And, of course, you can bookmark the page as a homescreen item.