Restoring from Backup -- How Long Should It Take?

As a result of the recent upgrade and issues with older systems, I am temporarily moving my server to a new iMac. My files are on an external portable WD hard drive. I installed the server software and pointed the storage to the same folder with my previous files. I restored from my latest database backup and its is taking over 3 hours. I have nearly 1TB of recordings, about 50 scheduled recordings, and about 40 passes setup. Should it take this long?

My new server is a 2017 iMac running Catalina (v10.15.4) with 32GB memory and 4.2GHz quad i7 processor. I would expect this to be faster than 3 hours.

The backup restore is instantaneous. Where are things stuck?

Enabling the storage. Here is screen shot

Additionally, here is screen shot showing volume permissions, folder permissions, and contents.

Click the Log tab. There's probably an error, maybe a permissions problem.

This screen appears.

I initially went here and selected the same folder as I was previously using on my older server. Once selected, it hung.

I can access the drive (write and read -- as I tested with a simple text doc).

Might it be that the server needs an empty directory?

Please check the Log tab of the DVR

Hm, seems like it never tried to start the DVR when you checked the box..

Can you try it again.. keep the Log open in one tab and Settings in another. Check the checkbox, then reload the Log to see if any new messages appear at the bottom.

Wow...I could not check or uncheck anything in the dialog box. So I stopped and restarted the server. Everything came right back up. All previous recordings, scheduled recordings and passes.

Not sure why it hung, but resoled now.

Thanks!!

1 Like