Reverse Proxy on Synology

Does anyone have Channels running through a Reverse Proxy on their Synology? I would like to move my DVR over the my Mac mini but use the Synology as a reverse proxy so I can stop asking the developers to change my IP address due to me being behind a CGNAT. Thanks in advance.

A reverse proxy will be problematic with CGNAT since it requires port forwarding. I have T-Mobile Home Internet. I worked around the issue by configuring an outbound VPN on my router that allows port forwarding. Then I added policy based routing rules on my router to route just the DVR traffic through the VPN. You will need a router that supports VPN clients and a service that supports port forwarding. There are several that do. I use Torguard. Windscribe also allows it. They cost $3-5 a month. You can also put the VPN client connection on your Synology instead of your router. You will want to be careful that you don't open up your Synology to attack. In other words, make sure that its only port 8089 that is open through the VPN. Torgoard and others will do this for you. But I would still make sure its blocked by the Synology firewall. You can also setup a VPS server on one of the many VPS hosting services that are out there. Then setup a VPN to the VPS.

1 Like

Another option is Tailscale. I didn't mention it before because it no longer works for me. I had previously used it but I stopped when started using VPN instead. I recently tried to use it only to find that it no longer works. I believe the reason is because Tailscale on Synology no longer forwards ICMP packets due to security restrictions required by Synology. This was a recent change. I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I suspect Channels may be using some sort of ICMP traffic to see if you have entered a valid Channels server IP address. And that traffic is being blocked. A work around would be to use Virtual Machine Manager to create a small Linux installation. You can install Tailscale in that VM without the ICMP restrictions.