RPi Image - Auto update of either stream, and auto reboot

I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing it, and I'm not raising this as an issue to be addressed, but I've been seeing a steady climb in CPU utilization with the RPi image. So every day I perform a pre-release update, and now that's automatically bouncing. At that point it goes back to normal and stays that way for about a day. Rinse, repeat.

Wouldn't it be great if we could schedule that from the browser? An option to update either stream, and an option to reboot?

FYI if I leave it alone the CPU goes to 100% and I have to do a hard reset. I switched on the "old transcoder" and that seems to be slowing it down. Why I don't know since I only access it locally at this point. It just is.

Please submit diagnostics when you notice the CPU usage issue.

Using the old transcoder is not recommended.

Ok, I'll disable the old transcoder, bounce, and let it run for a while. Thank you!

Hi Aman,

I sent two up this morning a few hours apart. For some odd reason it's handling one stream right now for an HDHR Prime channel with the CPU hitting 4.0. Good luck! I'm gonna restart it now and I'll send more the next time the CPU shoots up. Probably either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Seems like one of your clients is set to 4mbps instead of Original for quality and that's causing transcoding.

1 Like

Well here's the odd thing. All connections should be coming from an Emby server. I'll have to post over there and find out what's causing it to request a 4mb stream. I don't believe there's even a setting to control M3U tuners like that, so it may be something in their code that makes the adjustment on its own.

Which brings me to a question. Is there way through some sort of parameter in a file that can force transcoding to stay off on the CDVR side?

By default, I believe the exported M3U playlist will use the "Web Player" transcoding options. To force the raw stream when exporting the playlist, append the format=ts query string.

1 Like

Ahh hah! When I built the new CDVR server on the Pi new channels were picked up. So I re-downloaded the m3u files, and re-added everything to Emby. I forgot to make that change.

BTW, the static IP went in quickly and easily. Thanks for everything!!!!!

1 Like

Looks like it was only one. I have both m3u and m3u8 files in the directory. I picked the wrong one when setting up the tuner. That explains why it was only the channels from the HDHR Prime box choking the channels server. That's what I get for being sloppy!

1 Like