Run more than a single app on your NAS

Does anyone run any additional software on their NAS, other than the Channels app? I'm curious to see if Channels would take a significant hit in performance if I ran something like Plex on my NAS too. I'm running a Synology DS718+.

Thanks!

Channels is a pretty low-resource usage app. The same goes for Plex. (Unless you are transcoding, then resource usage will increase, depending on your hardware.)

I have a small NUC-style computer I'm using with a 4th gen Core i3 and 8GB RAM. It's running Channels, Plex, and my Unifi SDN controller. A quick view of htop showed less than a gig of RAM being used, and just a few processor spikes from a comskip process running.

Your DS718+ ought to have no problems with Channels, Plex and a few other servers eunning concurrently.

1 Like

I'm running the Synology Surveillance Station on our DS218+. Only one (1) camera, so far, but I expect to end up with 4-6, total.

I'm running the NFS (Network File System) service on it, but I'm not actively using it until I get a backup in place. Then I'll probably move all our photos and videos onto it.

1 Like

On my Synology DS1019+ I run Channels DVR, PLEX Server, Emby Server (seldom use it) and it is my offsite backup machine (after midnight). I would not say I am a heavy user. I normally use Direct Play from Plex so pretty much never transcoding which would be the only CPU Intensive part of my setup.

I use a 916+. I've got channels, some web pages with mysql (maria10) backends, regular lan backups, and amazon s3 backups. Plus dns, dhcp, file services, photo station, video station, note station, and a few other services.

I tried a Unifi Controller here too, but it does not play well running the Unifi Controller + Channels though. The unifi controller installs mongodb in a docker container and the IO is constant (there are file read/writes nearly every second). It reduces the amount of tv channels that can record concurrently without issue.

I don't have use for Plex, but if I did, I wouldn't be using it at the same time that Channels-DVR was getting significant use.

Channels is low-resource as far as the processor and RAM. But disk IO can get high.