Salt Remote: Apple TV Remote Alternative

My LG TVs can’t control the tv channels either. Just can do the color buttons. It’s a LG limitation not the AppleTV, Channels DVR, or Remote

Ok, so Channels will not be able to add this functionality in the future?

Does this mean I would have to get a bluetooth remote if I wanted to change the channels while watching live tv?

The salt remote, function101 remote, Harmony remote and Sofabaton remote can all change channels.

Does your LG TV support CEC? Have you enabled it? On my Sony there is a setting on the TV to enable channel buttons via CEC vs not. I think it’s a CEC issue, not a remote issue. If your TV can’t send channel up down via CEC then I don’t think any remote will work because the Apple TV does not recognize a channel change does it? (question for the developers)

I have CEC enabled on my LG TV. I think LG calls it Simplink. I can use the 4 colored buttons on my LG remote to open the guide or do live tv but I can't change the channels up or down in the Channels App.

That was my question too. If I can't change the channels using the LG TV and CEC, would I be able to do it on any other remote?

LG CEC/Simplink seems to only have the colored key functionality working. Channel up/down, previous channel, and numbers do not work via CEC/Simplink. To change channels I must go through the guide.

I love the One for All Streamer remote though. I have 3 myself and bought my mom one to replace her Harmony 650 for her birthday next week.

Different manufacturers have different levels of support for CEC. For instance, none of the Vizio TVs I own that support CEC will send keypad or channel presses along to other CEC devices; media control, direction/enter, and exit are the only remote buttons sent through.

Ok that clarifies it for me. Thanks. Although I thought I could get previous channel with LG CEC/Simplink.

So would a Bluetooth remote change channels?

The only 3rd party BT options that I know of are Harmony and Sofabaton, both work great. The only reason I can see paying more for a Harmony is if you want smart home controls (ask google to turn on/off your tv or setup automation).

Would either of these change the up and down channel buttons with live tv even if the LG TV remote doesn’t do this?

Yes...

I use the sofabaton with the atv4k, ts4k, firecube, and androidtv box. All functions work fine with all devices including channel up/down and direct channel input.

I think something is being missed in these two replies. The Apple TV, as far as I'm aware, has no channel changing functions. Unless your TV supports bluetooth as a universal remote, then you are likely going to be talking to the Apple TV, which I don't see how it could interpret channels. If the Sofabaton or Harmony is able to change channels, then it has to emulate something to do that, right? If the TV has no ability to pass channels via CEC, then how will it get to Channels DVR? Those of you that are using Sofabaton or Harmony for channels, what brand TV do you have, and is the TV remote what is being emulated? In other words, is the channel command going through the TV's CEC to channels?

This is incorrect. Channels on Apple TV supports channel changing via Bluetooth and IR remotes directly (without CEC)

1 Like

So how would that get setup if the Apple TV remote doesn't have channel buttons to setup and emulate in the Harmony? I'm not looking for the details, just the abstract "what is going on" answer.

I may have to pull my Harmony Elite out to play with and try to understand this because I'm missing something.

We have documentation on the steps: https://getchannels.com/docs/apps/remote-control/advanced/#harmony-hub-remotes

Can I get clarification on this? Which IR remotes directly change the channels? Is this with certain brands of tv? My LG remote doesn't change channels even with CEC turned on.

CEC, IR and BT are three completely different types of technologies.

LG TVs do not support many keys over CEC

But over IR and BT, remotes can talk directly to the Apple TV without CEC or your LG involved.

The Salt and Function101 remotes work over IR with the Apple TV and let you change channels up and down. The list of supported commands with IR remotes is here: https://getchannels.com/docs/apps/remote-control/universal-remote/#button-mappings

Now that I have the One for All remotes I’ve gotta sell the Function remotes I bought. lol

1 Like

Function101 is considering making a bluetooth version of their Apple TV remote: Function101 Button Remote for Apple TV Bluetooth Interest

2 Likes