Save deleted recordings in Trash

It occurs to me that one of the things my Comcast X1 DVR had that isn’t in the Channels DVR is the idea of a “Trash” folder. Now, to be fair, in the last couple of years I think I’ve only actually recovered something from the trash once, but it was certainly useful that time.

I’m imagining when I delete a recording in Channels, it could go into a special “Trash” folder somewhere. We’d probably need settings for this - perhaps just two:

• how long to keep recordings in trash (e.g. 7 days or 30 days)
  • max disk space to use for trash (e.g. 500GB)

Low priority from my perspective, but I wanted to mention it while I was thinking about it.

Also perhaps consider this a request for when you’re implementing the hooks - I could implement my own “trash”, if there was a hook that fired when a recording was about to be deleted.

Maybe I missed any discussion on this topic elsewhere, but I would second this feature (although not as a low priority). My 4 year old started watching tv this morning and my 10 year old came running in and said she had deleted all episodes of a show she loves. They were indeed gone from the ATV, but thankfully not (not yet, at least, about 1 minute later) from the DVR on a MBP. I was able to restore them by hitting “refresh” on each episode.

What is the process for deleting? is there a certain amount of time they are still available on the dvr if deleted from the ATV?

As much as I’d like a “restore from trash” feature, maybe the option to have a PIN confirmation of deletions from ATVs would also desirable.

Huh. That’s weird. And they’re still there now?

So far they are still there both on DVR server (MBP) and on the ATV.

Can you send me your log?

When you delete a recording it is marked as hidden and should be deleted within a few minutes. There is no way to cancel the deletion afaik.

Just copy and paste here?

Email to [email protected] from http://x.x.x.x:8089/log?n=2000

I would prefer not to have a trash, and especially not a PIN for me to enter with my ATV remote. If this kind of thing is being considered, I hope that that the implementation will be optional.

I offered the idea of a pin as an option, I realize not everyone has little children and wants to have to deal with child-proofing measures, but that would certainly help me out.

Any kind of trash feature would simply be a deferred delete. So you had some kind of window to correct mistakes. You wouldn’t have to empty it manually, eww!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Feature: Safer deleting with Trash

This feature is being tested in the latest prerelease builds: