Save live cache

While I’m watching live TV, would be great if there’s a way to record an episode that already aired but is still in the cache.
This helps if I want to save an episode that I just watched and would like to keep, or if I’m behind live TV in the timeline and would like to save the unwatched portion for later viewing.

This is not currently possible as the live TV buffer is on the client, not on the server.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
What’s the “clear cache” setting for in the DVR’s web setup page?

IIRC, that's for already transcoded recordings for remote streaming or lower bitrate streams.

2 Likes

This is correct.

Is the cache still on the client if tuner sharing is turned on?

I see value in this as well. I have found times where I would start watching a program and realize that I want to show this to my wife and hit record on my TiVo.

Yes. The server only maintains a small cache for tuner sharing (around 1 min, IIRC). The timeshift buffer lives wholly on the client, at the moment.

Can this be redesigned to save the buffer on the DVR server so we could get this feature? This would also remove the limitation of the storage space on the client.

This has been requested in the past. The devs mentioned it’s a huge design change, and would be very difficult to implement. I wouldn’t expect anything unless they suggest they are going in this direction.