Save live TV buffer into recording

I watched a show for about 10 min and then hit the Record button. The recording didn't start from the 10 min i already watched but started the moment i hit record.
Unlike in Tivo It records from the buffer start time or 00, 30 intervals of the hour.
Can you add this functionality in Channels DVR?

1 Like

This has been requested before, the issue is that the live cache is stored on the client for local streams, meaning the DVR does not have access to it.

The only way to achieve this in all scenarios would be for all cache to be kept on the DVR. Right now this is only true for remote streams and (I think) local streams that are transcoded to a lower quality.

2 Likes

There is also a cache/buffer on the DVR server if you use tuner sharing in the client. With tuner sharing, all stream go to the server before they are fed to the client; in this manner both local and remote clients work the same when tuner sharing is used.

I would like to see something like this also ... I have tuner sharing turned on on all my clients ... I would like the ability when watching Livetv the option to hit record and keep the recording from the point I started watching until completion... I come from SageTV and that is the way it works.

@tmm1 @maddox Can you take a look at this?

This is an extremely technical change that changes how the entire app would work. It's been discussed before. Everyone here explained the reason well (thanks!).

There's still no plans on shifting the buffer to the server.

I actually liked the way MythTV handles this:

Live TV buffers are saved in a separate recording group, organized by program when guide data is available, and organized by channel and date/time when there was no guide information.

If you wished to record the program you were currently watching, the backend process would move/copy the in-progress buffer from the Live TV group into the regular recordings group.

(The above is also the way that DirecTV handles choosing to record an in-progress live buffer, except it does not make its Live TV buffer/group user visible and the buffer is discarded as soon as the channel is changed rather than a time/space threshold being met.

Personally I like MythTV's method as it allows for greater flexibility, including choosing to save/record a program that was cached/buffered that had already ended but still persisted in the buffer. However, DirecTV's is a bit more intuitive. I also like the way DirecTV's progress bar reflects the start and end time/duration for live streams, rather than just a continuously moving time bar.)

1 Like

SageTV treats LiveTV just like if you were recording it writes to the recording folder with the correct name and metadata .. you can press record at anytime and it tells SageTV to keep the recording and continue recording until the end of the show. If you do not hit record and you have finished the show it will just delete the recording. Or if you hit stop it will delete the show. If another user is watching the same show and they want to keep it they can hit record.

Curious: if the TV is playing all day long (live TV), is it using up your recording space? How does it handle that? Does it treat each show individually?

SageTV has a great way of monitoring used space. It will not fill up it will delete the previous show after a few minutes when watching livetv. Yes it treats each show individually. Now if you really want to use the space allocated to the fullest it does have Intelligent recording based on your viewing habits.

Channels DVR is my go to DVR but if I just want to watch LiveTV I use SageTV .. because leaving LiveTV to go to check recordings or the guide livetv is paused and will pick up where you left off.

From the Sage Doc ...

Delete Live TV files when not using Intelligent Recording

Choose whether SageTV should automatically delete live TV recordings shortly after the show has finished airing and you have stopped watching the recording. By default, this will be on. If you disable live TV autodeletion, the recordings will still be deleted when more disk space is needed for a new recording.

The Verizon FIOS DVR I used to use would start recording from the buffer and it's something I really miss when I'm watching a program and I decide I want to record it.

That would be a fantastic feature.

Would it be possible to have the buffer on both? Like, the client app has its own buffer, and the DVR server starts recording in the background "just in case"? Then if you change the channel without hitting record, it can just discard that?

3 Likes

Seconding what @Andy_Gilleand said, why not add an option for the DVR server to shadow the clients watching live TV w/ tuner sharing enabled? If the client later decides to record, the buffer on the DVR server can be saved, otherwise it is discarded. This will eliminate any need to alter the buffering behavior on the client.

2 Likes

One workaround is to simply rewind the buffer timeline and hit record. Worked for me on the Apple TV

I do not think it works that way it will record from current time not the buffer.... even if you rewind.

1 Like

If that's really the case it's a new bug that probably won't work as expected all or most of the time.