Scan Local Media Sources Seperately

Hi,

I think it would be useful to be able to scan each local media source separately, i.e Movie, TV, Video. When I was testing I found that the TV /Video wouldn’t update as Movies updating/importing took a while. Also having an option to cancel each scan import would be useful as well.

I agree having ability to specify times for scan will be cool. I will even +1 the idea. However.

The massive import scan only takes one time. If you have a HUGE library it can take several days. However once its complete you do not EVER have to do the full scan again.

Q: What if i move my server. Then will I have to spend days again rescanning my import folder

NO! You import your database backup file (CDVR) automatically makes them.

Part of reason import scan takes soooooooo long. @maddox can correct me if I am mistaken (i think I read this somewhere). The scanner scans/reads entire file. Not just the metadata.

So. In conclusion. This is anoying thing that happens. But i feel its low priority since its only a 1 time annoyance.

Thanks! I did find that when I added a new episode of a series for example, it would take ages to appear even after the initial full library import which is understandably long. I found it still took quite long scanning Movies which is first on the list before getting to TV which is why I made the suggestion.

The indexing of the video is a separate process that happens separately from the importing of the videos, which is just looking up metadata.

Yes, the actual import of your content should only take minutes (adjusted for your library size of course, but certainly not days, or even hours). Your content is available immediately to watch. Metadata data scans do not take that long.

1 Like

Last time i did a full scan (a while back) i remembered it took 2-3 days to scan/add my content. At that point in timd it was roughly 10TB of content.

As i now download and add content. A show with a lot of episodes takes about 10minutes to index and all all episodes.

Running on a NAS Asustustor Nimbuster.

So yes. Scans can take DAYS!

Screenshot of when i was talking about being on 24hrs of scanning so far.

I am doing my first scan right now after installing the server on my Synology and after 2 hours it has only indexed about 200 movies. It's not taxing the Synology's resources hardly at all, so not sure what's taking it so long. At this rate I expect it'll take a week to index my TV folder when it gets there!

By default the option to "pre-optimize" the imports is selected. While this improves playback, it does impact the performance of importing content. On underpowered devices, like many NAS or SBC based solutions, this process can take quite a long time.

The optimizing step is separate from actually importing the content into the library though. Content should all flow in immediately, while the optimizing is a separate process.

Are you actually only seeing 200 items in your library after 2 hours?

1 Like

Yes, I was only seeing 200 items in my library after 2 hours. When I look at the logs, I see a series of SCN and IDX actions alternating, though the IDX actions are lagging from the SCNs… i.e. I see

SCN Imported movie #401
IDX generating index for file-364
SCN Imported movie #402
IDX generating index for file-365

Etc etc

The SCN entries are at about 30 second spacing.

I tried unchecking the pre-optimize button and restarted the server and it didn’t seem to affect anything… at least for a while. Then maybe an hour later the log changes and it’s just SCN SCN SCN SCN, though each scan is still taking about 30 seconds. So maybe there were a bunch of scan and index jobs queued up that had to finish before the setting change affected anything?

It’s now done with my ~500 movies and on to my TV library. Currently it’s importing TV episodes again at about 30-second intervals.

Once all the content is indexed, is there any way to tell it to go back and do the optimization pass?

(This is all running on 2023.06.29.0444 on a Synology DS920+ running DSM 7.1)

I kicked off some Corrected Matches for TV shows that didn't match during the initial import, and now that those are processing, the log shows that the ongoing file scan is only adding about 1 TV episode every 3 minutes. Not sure what all is going on behind the scenes that's so slow, but correcting episode matches is definitely slowing down the ongoing import.

Please submit diagnostics as this is quite unusual.

You can find it under the support section.

I also saw your mention on Mastodon about bad matches, as well. Could you provide a couple examples of what the shows/movies are that didn't get a good match? Were they matched wrong or not matched at all?

I'm curious if it's the matching, or just a deficiency in our scanner for your path names. Because we can fix the latter pretty easier. Having an example of them would help us add it to the scanner.

Logs have been submitted as e8a422be-93e3-48dd-b04c-6643bba31834

Thanks!

It looks like a bunch of the unmatched items are due to the directory name of the series. Here's an example that looks like one of your items, but was modified for your privacy:

/SHOWNAME.S01-S09.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.265-LGC/S01/SHOWNAME.S01E01.SHOWTITLE.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.265-LGC.mkv

Channels expects the root show directory name to be the name of the show. In this example, that is SHOWNAME.S01-S09.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.265-LGC.

Channels uses this directory name to know what series to scan it in as, it uses that directory name to look up what series it is.

If this were instead:

/SHOWNAME/S01/SHOWNAME.S01E01.SHOWTITLE.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.265-LGC.mkv

It would have scanned in.

Yes, I am looking through it and realize that the missed matches are ones where it is not following the guidance you have for the file scanner. Now, those all scan fine into Plex, so it's a minor transition headache, but I can live with manually fixing some matches if the scans/imports would happen quickly once the match is generated.

Fwiw, you can fix these matches under DVR > Manage, and pick unmatched. Find one of the episodes and choose Find Match. Then do a search for the show. Once you pick it, all the episodes in that directory will be matched to your choice.

Just for the record, after about 60 hours the scan of my media files (~500 moves, ~10.5k tv episodes) finally finished.

I cleaned up some naming in the file system to help the scanner identify things, and kicked off a re-scan. It's rescanning and finding the updates, but still taking on the order of 30 seconds per file to do whatever it's doing. Which means, for instance, that since it didn't match my Star Trek The Next Generation folder and I needed to manually match it, it'll now take a solid hour to re-scan that show. Plex or Jellyfin would take just seconds.

It’s gotta be hanging up somewhere in the metadata import… I reorganized some files to get them to scan/import properly, and then at the same point I went into the Channels dashboard and did some manual show matching on shows that didn’t match on scan.

Now I can see the unmoved but newly-matched files slowly trickling into Channels as matches, but the re-indexing of the moved files has slowed down to like one file every 3 minutes.

Could you submit diagnostics from your dvr? Do it three times, wait for it to move onto the next movie scanning and submit. So once every three minutes