Screen goes black after ~5 mins

Yeah i hear ya. Same with me but it was firesticks that i replaced. Im a google guy all the way except for tv. Google screwed that up 100%. Havent had any issues with google/apple devices coexisting. The only issue was from my wife. "Has this appletv thing been available the whole time?" When i answered yes she got mad and asked why i was so stubborn to use google devices...

1 Like

:joy: maybe I will have to check that out then!

This same issue happened to us on all our Sony Android TVs around the same time as the original poster. It had been working fine for a long time prior to that. Are we sure it's not related to the app update on Sept 12? If you check the beta thread there was an "Android SDK update" on Sept 11 and a stable release on Sept 12. The issue started not long after. Perhaps we can downgrade to the prior version to check this?

1 Like

I have two Sony Google TV's that use OS version: AndroidTV 10 API/29 as reported by the Channels DVR Client settings, and they do not have the problem with Channels DVR. You may be right about Channels updates that may have issues with older OS versions.

Nice catch, didn't think to look there. All mine say "AndroidTV 9 API/28".

That's interesting, that's probably about the time this issue started for me. You got me thinking and I remembered I have the Channels DVR Beta app installed. I've just tested with the Beta app and the problem doesn't exist!

This would seem to be strong evidence for an app issue?

@tmm1 what do you think? If it was a Google TV OS issue wouldn't it also impact the Beta version?

Beta version is 110.22.1531
Normal version is 4.6.5

You mean you just tested with the non_Beta App. So that would lead me to a Channels DVR Beta release problem.

I don't really understand what you're saying - sorry.

I've also gone and grabbed the previous versions (4.6.3 and 4.6.4) and I'm going to attempt to re-install those, I'll do some testing and report back.

Ok so I got 4.6.3 installed and it's working fine. It's been 16 minutes and counting, and no black screen. So it looks like an issue was introduced in either 4.6.4 or 4.6.5.

And what about the latest beta?

Aww geez, I guess I made the assumption that the Beta auto-updates (I'm assuming that's not correct). I'll go figure out how to update that and do another test.

Ok so using the latest beta (10.19.44), the black screen issue is also there.

Thanks @Fofer for pointing out that my Beta was well out of date.

Hi @tmm1, could you have a read through the rest of this thread. With some further testing it appears that this is a Channels DVR issue. I have installed a previous version and it works fine.

EDIT: Just tested with 4.6.4, the problem exists, so it looks like it was introduced with 4.6.4. It was ok in 4.6.3.

@tmm1 more information to help you pinpoint the issue. If I watch a Pluto channel it works ok (4.6.5), but on my hdhomerun channels it will go black.

@tmm1 can I get confirmation that this is indeed a Channels DVR issue? For now I've sideloaded 4.6.3 and have had to turn off auto updates.

Would be great to know that it's on the bug list and will be resolved at some point.

It was probably caused by this change:

This is something that's mandated by Google to stay in the play store.

I'm glad you found a workaround.

It's not really a long term workaround though, I'd still like to get updates.

Are you guys able to log issues with whomever makes the Android SDK?

@tmm1 bump

@maddox @tmm1, sorry for tagging you directly, I would like to know if there will be some movement on this? I've had to turn off auto updates on my 3 TV's, which is definitely a hassle.

1 Like

Turning off updates is our recommendation at this time.