Screen goes black after ~5 mins

Is this something you're able to do? I'd like to know if you're planning to work on this issue.

Thanks

1 Like

The SDK was just a guess. If you want to try the version before and after that change that would confirm.

I'm happy to try that.

Can you tell me the versions before and after?

They're listed in the beta notes thread

You would have to find the beta apk for that version and sideload to test. I believe the apk urls are documented somewhere on the forum.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is another problem I've come to investigate before deciding whether to renew my Channels sub.

I'm in the UK and have this issue with live TV on channels as well - screen blanking out, sometimes as OP and just staying blank, other times flashing back to the picture. Probably to do with 25p/50i content.

Sad to say, but my solution is just to go back to Plex DVR, which I abandoned to come to Channels a year ago, which plays live TV and recordings much better (but not as good as 24p content) on my Sony Google TV's.

The more I look on this forum for issues I have the more I feel it's time to say goodbye to Channels as £60+ GBP is a lot of cash to hand over to something that just half works.

1 Like

I've always found the devs very responsive and most issues are fixed quickly, but I too am a little disheartened at the lack of support for the android client, especially when I'm paying a monthly subscription.

I'm hoping it's something that will be resolved, I don't really want to go back to Plex, but if I can never upgrade the client, that'll suck too.

2 Likes

Just replying to you too, for me, going into settings > playback > steaming quality > original delivery quality > stream solved this issue for me (2017 Sony Android TV, AndroidTV 9 API/28), let me know if it helps!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the tip. I've tried streaming before but I found the experience wasn't as nice, from memory it was slower to seek and paused/buffered more often.

Having said that, it might be worth the extra hassles if it means I can continue to upgrade.

In my experience, it takes about 2-3 seconds longer to tune to a channel. Upon starting playback, there is sometimes upto 2 stutters, but there is not any stutters once 30 seconds into playback. All of my clients are wired ethernet though, so your mileage may vary.

1 Like

I've just tested this and I still get the black screen :pensive:

Interesting. Its clearly not all down to that then. What Android version is your Sony TV on?

Android TV OS version: 10
Kernel version: 4.19.75
Android TV OS build: BRAVIA_VH21_M_PA-user 10....

Can confirm, does not fix the issue. mine finally did it today.

1 Like