Screen saver activates when watching tv

Has anyone seen this behavior happen multiple times without having changed the channel or ANY OTHER ACTION?

IE:

1. play a channel
  2. screen saver comes on
  3. button used to dismiss it
  4. channel goes back to playing
  5. screen saver comes on

Did it happen again after changing the channel too?

Sorry but not sure. After the 2nd or 3rd time I did go out to the ‘Guide’ at which point I scrolled up and down, then I went to ‘On Now’ after which I reselected hockey. Don’t think I selected a different channel while I worked the menus. After doing this the screen saver returned after an interval.

Yeah I have. Had it happen 4 or 5 time before quitting Channels and going back into it, which resolved the issue.

Can you confirm:

• You have seen the screen saver come on while video is playing.    Tod - yes,  the screen saver comes on while I am watching live TV.  I do not have the DVR service.
• You have stopped the screensaver to see video again.    Tod- Yes, if I click on the touch sensitive area of the Apple TV remote the live TV show returns, 
• You have then seen the screensaver pop up again after switching channels or playing a different recording, all without having left the app in between.  Tod - this I have not tested.

As a note: I turned off the effected Apple TV screen saver, but the problem remains.

Hello, just to be clear, so has the quitting of Channels and the restarting of the Apple TV completely made this problem go away?
thanks,
Tod

Yes, I can confirm that this has happened to my effected Apple TV in the kitchen. But since I reloaded the Apple TV, the bug has not returned.
But, this same bug (screen saver coming up during live TV) is now effecting the Apple TV in the bedroom.

We believe this bug is caused when the ATV goes to sleep while the video player is active.

For instance, with these steps:

• start watching TV
  • click and hold TV/Home button
  • click Sleep
  • later, wake up ATV by clicking remote
  • TV will start playing automatically when the ATV wakes up
  • a few minutes later, the screensaver will show up

Do you folks all generally put the ATV to sleep like this?

Yes, that is exactly how I use the Apple TV and remote.

I hold the TV/Home button to put the ATV to sleep. I often do this while watching TV with the Channels app without first exiting Channels. Nice feature as it also turns off the TV. So could be the scenario for me.

Yep that’s my scenario. Only notice on first viewing of TV for the day after selecting ‘sleep’ from the previous night.

Okay cool. I think we’ve squashed that particular bug.

What’s confusing though… when I tried those steps, I could only get the screensaver to show up one time. (I set the ATV to show it after 2 minutes for easier testing). Once the screensaver showed up, I clicked the remote to make it go away and resume TV, and then it didn’t show up again.

Can someone try those steps on their ATV and see if screensaver shows up repeatedly or just once?

I’ll also send out a beta app shortly with today’s change so you guys can confirm whether its totally fixed or still happening in some cases.

This morning when it happened I clicked remote and it returned 3 times. Basically 1 - 2 minutes of live TV then screensaver. So like I said I rebooted ATV. I just didn’t feel like waiting any longer.

I sent out the beta. It has increased logging too, so if you’re using the beta and hit the screensaver bug: go to the bottom of the Settings tab and click Submit Diagnostics > Video Player.

Thank you for the beta. I won’t be able to test it at my house until Sunday.

Thanks – just loaded it – by the way no problems with ver. 2.1.19 this morning with screen saver. Now on to beta version.

I have had the screen saver issue occasionally. I reproduced it three times this morning with 2.1.19. I didn’t happen with the latest beta.
These are the steps I follow.
start watching TV
click and hold TV/Home button
click Sleep
later, wake up ATV by clicking remote
TV will start playing automatically but on the timeline it will have the swirling loading circle. A few moments later the screen saver will come on. If I tap the touch portion of the report it wakes and will happen again in few minutes. If I pause and play it is the n fine. The latest beta I couldn’t reproduce the promlem. The video is with 2.1.19. I couldn’t attach the video. I emailed it.

1 Like

v2.1.20 is now available on the App Store with the fix for this issue.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: ATV screen saver engages while watching