Screen saver activates when watching tv

Has anyone else experienced the screen saver activating whilst watching the? It’s happened a few times now.

Thanks.

Next time it happens could you try to remember and post exactly what happened?

Had you been paused and you unpaused? Try to document all the actions that may have happened leading up to the screen saver coming on.

This has been reported before, but we’ve never seen it and we can’t reproduce it.

Did it happen over and over while watching? Or like randomly a few different times while using the app?

The couple of times that it’s happened, it came on after 1 minute or so, so I hit the remote and playing resumed. Then it happened again another minute.

I’ll keep an eye out and post detailed steps later, if it happens.

Cheers guys.

Wife complained about the same thing yesterday. Happened to 2 of my ATV. I turned the screensaver off as a test and will monitor.

Interesting, I have been experiencing this same problem. I’ll be watching a tv channel and after some amount of time the Apple TV goes to the screen saver. The time before it goes to a screen saver could be a few minutes or longer like 30 minutes. This seemed to start happening about one to two weeks ago. I have three Apple TV’s with Channels. It first started happening to the Apple TV in the kitchen and now this morning the Apple TV in the bedroom is going to the screen saver.
As to the Apple TV in the kitchen, I did a restore two days ago and reloaded my apps and as of now this problem has not come back.
Unfortunately, I’m away from home now and won’t be able to do any troubleshooting for a week. Although I can get reports from my wife if the problem resurfaces again or not on the kitchen Apple TV.
It will be interesting to see if Scotts’ idea of turning off the screensaver will be a workaround.

+1 Has happened to me since 2.17

How many times did it happen? After you cancel out the screensaver and resume playing, did it happen again?

We’re furiously trying to debug this and reproduce it. In addition to @tmm1’s last question, could you all help with a few details.

Can you confirm:

1. You have seen the screen saver come on while video is playing.
  2. You have stopped the screensaver to see video again.
  3. You have then seen the screensaver pop up again after switching channels or playing a different recording, all without having left the app in between.

Screensaver starts when watching any channel not a recording.

Problem only seems to happen after new revision is loaded. And on first startup of day. Any channel would be selected and run for a few minutes then go into screensaver. Hit menu to return and then it would repeat. After a few annoyances of this I just reboot ATV.

Hey

To Maddox and TMM1, yes on all accounts.

To be honest, this also happened once when I was air playing to the Apple TV. So it may not be a channels bug. However, it seems much more prevalent on Channels.

I use Channels and Plex every day (other apps not so much) and it’s never happened on Plex but has on Channels, probably 4 times in recent weeks (maybe in the last two).

Hope that helps and thanks for the support.

This happened to me several times over the weekend watching hockey live OTA. AppleTV would go to screen saver and remote key press of play/pause button would bring you right back into Channels watching the program. It happened at least 4 times but I didn’t experiment as I was in bed just about ready to call it a night anyway.

So to Maddox’s questions:

1. Screen saver came up while watching live tv.
  2. I hit play which stopped screen saver and returned to live tv.
  3. Screen saver again came up while watching live tv. I did change channels but did not attempt any recordings.

Just saw PapaSteve’s reply about new revision. Very likely it was the first time I was using Channels since that AppleTV was upgraded to 2.17 production version.

Has anyone seen this behavior happen multiple times without having changed the channel or ANY OTHER ACTION?

IE:

1. play a channel
  2. screen saver comes on
  3. button used to dismiss it
  4. channel goes back to playing
  5. screen saver comes on

Did it happen again after changing the channel too?

Sorry but not sure. After the 2nd or 3rd time I did go out to the ‘Guide’ at which point I scrolled up and down, then I went to ‘On Now’ after which I reselected hockey. Don’t think I selected a different channel while I worked the menus. After doing this the screen saver returned after an interval.

Yeah I have. Had it happen 4 or 5 time before quitting Channels and going back into it, which resolved the issue.

Can you confirm:

• You have seen the screen saver come on while video is playing.    Tod - yes,  the screen saver comes on while I am watching live TV.  I do not have the DVR service.
• You have stopped the screensaver to see video again.    Tod- Yes, if I click on the touch sensitive area of the Apple TV remote the live TV show returns, 
• You have then seen the screensaver pop up again after switching channels or playing a different recording, all without having left the app in between.  Tod - this I have not tested.

As a note: I turned off the effected Apple TV screen saver, but the problem remains.

Hello, just to be clear, so has the quitting of Channels and the restarting of the Apple TV completely made this problem go away?
thanks,
Tod

Yes, I can confirm that this has happened to my effected Apple TV in the kitchen. But since I reloaded the Apple TV, the bug has not returned.
But, this same bug (screen saver coming up during live TV) is now effecting the Apple TV in the bedroom.