Screensaver pops up now

The ATV app updated today I guess because now the screensaver pops up while watching live tv. The audio continues to play in the background but I have to click the remote to get the picture back.

Hmm, is this happening every single time?

This is happening to me too. I’m using an Apple TV 4K to a Marantz SR6011 to an LG E6 OLED. I have another previous gen Apple TV that is not having the issue.

I found that if I restart the Apple TV the problem goes anyway until I bring the Apple TV out of sleep, and then it starts again.

It isn’t happening every time. It is hard to nail down when it does it. I have noticed that when it starts doing it, if I restart the app or ATV, it stops doing it for awhile but will eventually start back up again.

Do you usually put the ATV to sleep while the Channels video player is active?

Yes. I usually just hold down the button on the remote until the option appears on the screen, so I’m not backing out of channels or closing the app before sleeping.

This should be resolved for the next version of the app. Thanks for reporting the issue.

I’m also seeing this problem pop up on my ATV 4K, after updating to the latest version just now (5.0.1). The screensaver will kick in while I’m watching live TV.

See also: Screensaver active while watching TV - #4 by maddox

if you force close the app and relaunch it will work. You don't need to reinstall anything.

While this bug has been around for a while. We've seen a new codepath that has made it happen more recently, which is different than whatever was causing it in the past.

This is a bug in some code added for a new feature. We've tracked it down and should hopefully have it fixed in the next TestFlight beta. You can watch for it there. If you're not on the beta you can learn more here: Channels — Beta Program

Otherwise, it will be fixed in the next official release.

1 Like