Series Pass for "2024 Australian Open Tennis"

I know this is an old post, but I'm having issues with a Series Pass for "2024 Australian Open Tennis" There should be 43 episodes scheduled but instead I'm only seeing 20 that are scheduled to record. The 23 that are an issue all have the "Error: Job Not Found" message when I click on the Queued dropdown. The workaround does work, but I would have expected that this issue would have been fixed by now. See screenshots
Capture2

@snapfel Are you certain that all 43 airings are actually unique? Could those 23 be reruns/repeats? Channels DVR will only schedule each unique airing to record once, and reruns will be excluded ("All Episodes" really means "All Unique Episodes").

This is normal behavior for rerun/repeat airings when the unique airings are Queued.

I have it set to Record All Episodes, so it should record all 43. I don't think any of them are re-runs since they're listed as New and live or delayed sporting events. I think part of the issue is how ESPN is naming each episode. For example, there's 10 occurrences of "2024 Australian Open Tennis First Round". I'm using the workaround that's posted for now, but would really love if Channels resolves this issue.

Channels DVR does not record EVERYTHING listed in the pass Matches (##) tab.
When you look at the Matches (43) tab, it's showing what matches the pass criteria (probably the Series ID).
It can record airings marked as New (New Episodes) or New and repeat airings (All Episodes), but once it records an episode (or event airing), it will not record it again on another channel or another time.

For Sporting Events, it's best to click on the Advanced tab and specify
Tags == Live or Tags CONTAINS Live to get only the live coverage.

Other coverage will be marked with Tape or Delay tags.

1 Like

For example this airing on Monday is marked as new on the event list but on the guide it says delay.
Channels seems to mark taped events as new if they haven't aired on that channel before.

Yah, New is not very reliable. Especially for Sporting Events.
Here's a post by maddox that shows a New Season Premiere episode of Mike & Molly Gracenote Season, Episode and Episode Title - #2 by maddox

Gracenote usually marks things as "new" if it's the first time they're airing on a specific station. So replays of ESPN matches on ESPN2 and vice/versa might be marked as "new"

Sticking to live/delay/new for something like the Australian Open is also very risky as schedules can change at the last minute if a set goes long or there's a rainout on the outdoor courts. ESPN always tries to air US players whenever possible, so some conflicting matches might also get bumped to ESPNEWS. You might have better luck with the ESPN app streams via the EPlusTV docker as they will be dedicated to each court.

1 Like

Event coverage schedule at the bottom of this web page

Thanks, this is helpful. Nowever, I noticed something interesting. This schedule shows for Jan 14th First Round from 12am - 7am. However, in the Channels guide it has it broken into 2 separate airing. The first from 12am - 3am and the 2nd from from 3am to 7am. Unfortunately Channels has the Error: Job Not Found error for the 3am to 7am segment.
Capture
Capture2

I did a test and setup an advanced pass with the following setting:
Categories==Sports event, Genres==Tennis, Tags CONTAINS Live, Tags CONTAINS Delay, Tags CONTAIN Tape
Unfortunately it is still only picking up 20 of the airing. See screenshot

Instead of having the 7hr event in the guide, Gracenote (guide provider) broke it up into two airings, a 3hr and a 4hr, but marked them both as the same event/episode (ProgramID=EP049240900001).

So Channels DVR will not record both since it thinks they're duplicates. (It thinks the second airing at 3am is a duplicate of the 12am airing).

Looking at TV Guide, it's broken up the same way, so must be how ESPN submitted the schedule to the guide providers.

Perhaps someone can suggest a workaround (mine is to use more than one Channels DVR Server).

If you don't setup a series pass, you can manually select each airing in the guide to record them, but that's a lot of work to get them all (assuming the schedule doesn't change).

Another workaround is to edit the scheduled 12am recording in the schedule view and add 4hrs post padding to it.

Unfortunately there are work arounds, but no fix.

@maddox @tmm1 @eric Any other ideas?

This is what results in the current behavior.

It is not easy to fix but I will take a look.

3 Likes

Interesting. That definitely explains why it's not recording. Greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

@tmm1 Here's an idea. Would it be possible when Channels DVR is loading the guide data to detect that Gracenote split the event/episode into 2 separate back-to-back airing and to combine them back together when processing/loading the guide data? That would resolve the issue and also provide more accurate guide information as well.

1 Like

Highly doubt it.
There was another user that had the same issue with an episode that would get split into two airings, and the second part was on another channel. So first half aired on Channel "A" and second half aired right after that, but on Channel "B".

The way Gracenote provided the guide data is just wrong. It's like having a 2 hour special, Alphabet A-Z and it gets broken into two 1 hour airings, each titled Alphabet A-Z, instead of Alphabet A-Z Part 1 and Alphabet A-Z Part 2.

Many cable channels have immediate replays of premieres and special events, so those would automatically be merged too. Like whenever FOX pre-empts SmackDown, the FS1 airing has an immediate replay for west coast viewers. HBO also has immediate replays for some of their Sunday night shows like tonight's True Detective premiere which is having 4 back to back airings, many awards shows like the VMAs have immediate replays too. Automatically merging might also affect "rolling" programs like the daytime blocks on news channels and music video blocks on channels like MTV Classic, mtvU, tr3s, Revolt, Nick Music and MTV Live.

ESPN's splits are intentionally done to match the schedule that Channel 9 has in Australia. Like tonight, the 7pm ET block on ESPN is the same timeslot Channel 9 has for their "Day" coverage, the 11pm block on ESPN2 is the same timeslot for 9's "Afternoon" coverage. The 3am block on ESPN2 matches 9's "Night" coverage which starts after their 6pm news.

The Australian Open telecasts are dynamic rolling coverage, it is very common for competitive matches to go well beyond the scheduled timeslots and for them to cutaway or go splitscreen if they want to showcase a player from the USA on one of the other courts. There is also no local curfew, so last year one match didn't end until after 4am Melbourne time/12pm EST. If you're not going to use the EPlusTV docker to get the court specific streams, you should pad the overnight recordings as long as possible, especially if the reason why you're recording them is because the major matchups are saved for Australian primetime when most people in the USA are sleeping.

2 Likes