Series Pass Record EVERY ONE that airs

It's getting too onerous to do this any more.

I have 3 Channels DVR instances running just so I can record multiples of the same series episodes so I don't miss episodes because of issues that result in delayed/interrupted/wrong thing recorded/message in recording they're having tech difficulty, etc.

Manual recordings and record episode from guide don't help as airing time can change. Needs to be in a pass.

If only Channels DVR would let me schedule a series pass that records "EVERYTHING" aired, I would prefer that and just skip episodes in the schedule or adjust the pass to get what I want.

That way, I could just use one Channels DVR Server to do all my recordings.

I'm sure this is possible in Channels DVR, just don't mark the episode recorded in its database, so it just keeps recording it until told otherwise.

For anyone that's curious why I want this. Think series marathon being aired on a channel and wanting to record all episodes. There are other reasons, like wanting to make sure you get all eps in a new series that airs and they air each ep twice a day and maybe one of those airing recordings (the one you recorded) fail for some reason or are interrupted/pre-empted, etc.

If you are this "onerous" or "particular", then there is nothing stopping you from using your "can-do" attitude to craft a script to:

• query each show you are concerned about/interested in
  • query the DVR about the recordings from those shows
  • for each recording, prompt the DVR to mark the episode as not recorded

This is such an edge case, that I cannot see developer hours exerted to serve your niche needs. However, if this is so important to you, this is a blueprint for how you can achieve your goals with the existing tools. A judicious use of curl, jq, and if necessary awk, used within your preferred shell (even if it's not POSIX sh), paired with cron, systemd.timer, or whichever task scheduling daemon you use, and this shouldn't be an issue.

It's a feature request.
I've been around the block and tried the manual work-arounds.
That's why I'm using 3 instances of Channels DVR Servers to get close to what I want.
And I don't think it's an edge case or niche need.

1 Like

I totally disagree. If I find a show that I like that has been in syndication and is still being produced why should I have to jump through all these hoops just to record all the shows? I'm not a programmer but I've done something very similar in Excel. It grabbed all the instances of X. After that it would search each day for new instances, ignoring old instances. What the OP wants would be very useful.

While you do add to the forum by helping and answering questions, I wish you would stop trying to represent the Devs, and let them answer for themselves.
Sometimes your posts come off as if you're an official rep and answering for them.
I can also express my opinions, but I know that's just what they are, my opinions.

2 Likes

Considering that your posts here have indicated that your use of Channels is merely as a backend for your own other uses, I figured that you could exert the same effort you put forth creating your own manual recordings into this situation. Perhaps you might even be willing to share back to the community your additional skills.

But if my singling out your narrow niche cases is offensive or is seen as condescending, then I will refrain from future comments. I was only trying to indicate a route one could take to achieve the stated goals, and any able individual could then take those steps and put them into action.

No, I do not speak for Fancy Bits/Channels, nor have I ever claimed to do so. And several times my comments/opinions have been eclipsed by their work that is contradictory to my views. However, I feel that I have more often than not presented a macro view of some of the (generalized) development process that gives some users an insight or perspective that they might not have considered.

You can already do this. If you set the pass to record all and “re-record deleted” it will record every single episode it can, until it has one of each. The true issue here are the underlying problems that might make somebody want to have six copies of the exact same episode. I’m sorry, but that is a niche request.

2 Likes

That is not what the OP wants they want to record every episode including duplicates... I know certain Episodes air during the day then air again during the night. I have run into that problem where an episode gets interrupted ... but airs again that night and I wish it had re-recorded the one that aired at night.

I understand what the OP wants. But having interruptions to recordings so often that you want duplicates “just in case” is a niche request. That’s all I’m saying.

I agree with the OP I have had Episodes pre-empted due to the NBA .. but aired later on. The guide does not always reflect Live sports and other live events.... might be niche to you but not to others.... So I do not see why criticize other users requests.

1 Like

This is not a criticism of a request. It is merely stating the fact that the feature being requesting is a niche request. As such, I (and others) are simply stating our determination that we would prefer the developers to focus their efforts on other fixes/features that appeal to a greater audience than this particular feature.

The real solution should be to find out why your recordings are being interrupted and fix it. Not record multiple copies of the same episode so you can switch to different recordings of the same thing if there are glitches or missing parts in one (or a few) of them. That is ridiculous.

1 Like

I think your response is ridiculous. You thinks everyone has time to look for Pre-empted episodes etc ..

2 Likes

Which response? Maybe it's a shortcoming of the forum software, but I have no clue about the context for your comment.

This discussion is quickly going off the rails; some direction is necessary, but vague comments are not helping.

Not meant for you :smiley: ... But if someone puts up a feature request and you do not like it just do not vote for it ... but don't put down the request unless you can provide a work around and not just suggest a script. Post it.

2 Likes

No, I did not post a script. However, based upon the OP's previous posts, my steps for achieving the proscribed goal should be well within their capability. And while I may not have posted a script in this thread, I have in others; I'm not sure the OP has done so.

(Edit: The rest of this post included myriad examples of the OP's one-sidedness, but I decided to remove it. The general gist is, if they are as eager and knowledgeable as other posts indicate, then solving this niche issue is well within their talents; the thread merely serves as an outlet for their narrow desires, and having someone else solve it for them.)

I'm just saying that the feature request is asking for a workaround rather than a solution to the root problem. If, for example, my car randomly breaks down from time to time, I shouldn't be asking for 3 other people to follow me everywhere I drive so that I can switch cars if mine breaks. The feature request should be to fix the original problem so that my car does not break down randomly.

1 Like

Not a single post in this thread is useful besides the OP. Locking the thread. C’mon guys.

1 Like