Setting for Recording / Playing 4:3 Video

One of the channels I record from always broadcasts 16:9 video. So when they broadcast reruns of older 4:3 television shows, the picture that they broadcast is stretched to fit a 16:9 screen, which looks very unnatural. Note that I always leave the Channels Stretch-to-Fit setting set to Off. Does Channels have a setting to shrink the width of such videos back to its original 4:3? If not, can such a setting be added?

Sounds like the broadcaster is stretching the video and it’s being broadcast as 16:9. There’s not really any good way for us to detect this. You can use the display mode settings on your TV to try and squeeze it back to the right size.

Of course this can be done with a setting on the TV. But that setting affects everything you see on the TV and not just the one program or the one channel that needs it.

Yes, but just like with a setting on the TV, Channels (if capable of “unstretching”), would also apply it to every program since there is no way to detect this automatically. So you would still have to toggle it on and off manually, just like you would on your TV. It would be nice to be acle to do this for specific channels though and just have it remember the setting for that channel, but then you would have to still toggle back and forth depending on whether the current show was stretched or not. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a perfect solution for this. I also have to deal with this garbage on some channels and I hate it. :frowning:

1 Like