Setting up Synology NAS

Iv just purchased a Synology DS920+ with a 10tb ironwolf nas drive, and will be setting it up in the next couple of days.

I will be running Channels, plex, tailscale, and a couple of docker containers (mlb tv)

1. Will the DS920+ handle all of this ok?

2. Are there any tips or tricks to setting this up, iv never used a NAS before, but have had no trouble with this on windows

Thanks
Elliot

Yes, the 920 will easily handle all of that and more.

It sounds like you only put one drive in it? First suggestion is to get at least one more so you can configure some level of redundancy.

Second suggestion is to go into your router settings and give the Synology a static local IP address. That will make local access easier.

Third suggestion, and probably the most important one, is to enable as much security as you can. Multifactor authentication, auto block IPs, etc.

Thanks Mike,

I intend to add more drives in the future, starting with the 1 and i will manually back up content on an old 8tb external drive i currently have.

I believe if i set the RAID configuration to SHR I can add larger drives in the future without issue?
Is SHR a reasonable configuration?

Security is a good point, are NAS drives more susceptible to vulnerabilities? Or just a smart move in any case?

Thanks for your help

SHR is your best option if you want to add or upgrade to larger drives in the future.

1 Like

Assuming you're opening it to the internet, yeah they are susceptible. There are a-holes all over the world who try to hack these. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues since I beefed up my security. I don't know if it is in the article that I posted earlier, but another thing I did was add firewall rules to block incoming requests from all but a few countries.

I am not an expert on RAID configurations, but I do have mine set to SHR.

This guide helped me get a good start on Synology firewall rules. Synology: How to Correctly Set Up Firewall on DSM 7 – Marius Hosting

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the information.

Another question i have is about the update to DSM 7. I have read about compatability issues when it was released. Particularly with plex, but i believe that has been resolved.

1. After downloading plex from there website, does it now work perfectly on DSM 7?

2. Is channels fully compatable with DSM 7?

3. All else failing, i am correct in saying docker is a saving grace, albeit without hardware transcoding?

Thanks again, the support on this sub is amazing

I just got my first Synology (DS220+ 6Gb) a few weeks ago. I went straight to DSM 7 from the start.

I had been using Plex on PC for over a decade. But when I put it on Synology I went for a 100% from scratch installation. No database migration (I wanted it completely fresh). So my database was built from the ground up. My only issue is that the intro scan detection and video preview thumb building hogged the processor darn near completely, almost crippling everything else running. However, after all those scans and building were done (it took me about a week with a 22Tb library for shows and movies) Plex runs without problems.

As far Channels (Synology package, not Docker), it runs like a dream. Detected my HDHR Connect and Prime with no problems. Accepted my TVE with no problems. Accepted custom channels no problem. Multiple client connections no problems. The only time I had a problem with Channels was when Plex was still setting up and hogging the processor.

Currently running ChannelsDVR (2022.05.06.1650), Plex (1.26.1.5772), Docker (20.10.3-1239), Sonarr, Radarr and Bazarr with no issues or conflicts. DSM 7.0.1-42218 (have not upgraded to 7.1). Basically once I got everything setup (after a lengthy initial Plex setup) it has been awesome.

Yes, it is.
Just be aware that all directories accessed by Channels DVR need permission for the Channels DVR username (system internal user channels)

Channels ran as root on DSM 6, but runs as system internal user channels on DSM 7

Also seems to run fine on 7.1 at least for me.