"Shake to mute" Feature

Whose invention is this? When I purchased Apple TV4, I was appalled that there was no mute button on the remote. I think the “shake to mute” feature that the Channels app has is absolutely ingenious to the extent that it pretty much obviates the need for a mute button.

Provided that no other app (that I know of) available on the Apple TV4 has the “shake to mute” feature, is this something that the Channels team invented? If so, did you guys patent it?

I would love to have this feature spread across the Apple TV platform. If this is your invention and you have patented it, perhaps you should try to license it to Apple and generate an additional revenue stream from this.

1 Like

As far as I know, we are the first and only app to implement “Shake to mute”. We have no patents or licenses on this feature, and would be thrilled to see other apps implement it as well.

1 Like

I would recommend patenting this feature. You guys can make some serious money - the genius of this feature is something that Apple could come up with during the Steve Jobs’ era, but they seem to be incapable of delivering such solutions lately.

1 Like

Patents are incredibly time-consuming and expensive to file, have no guarantee of actually being granted, and also cannot be filed on a feature that’s already been made available to the public.

We prefer to spend our time and energy building cool stuff for all our users =)

3 Likes

Love the feature, but would like to see it be more sensitive. It seems like it has to be shaken rather harder than it should need to be for the function. Otherwise I love it.

1 Like

The first iteration was more sensitive, but triggered if you tossed the remote onto your couch, lol. It’s tricky.

1 Like

Never fear! Apple steals anything that isn't locked down.

I started looking towards Apple for my answer. First through the AppleTV's settings then on to google. There learned it was propritary to Channels.

I find it easy enough to shake the mute it on but shaking it off to resume listening is not as easy. Any suggestions?

1 Like