Share your Home Assistant ideas

The light I put the switch on is the porch light, so not dimmable, but im not sure I have dimmable lights anywhere, wouldn't there be a previous dimmer? Not sure I would have dimmable lights with a regular switch. What would happen if they weren't and I used a dimmer? Hell, maybe they are dimmable. Any way to tell other than pulling the light down?

You need dimmable bulbs unless you're using incandescent. Dimmable bulbs are more expensive so it’s not likely someone would spring for them if they weren’t going to dim them. But you could get lucky.

Electric shock effects the brain first. :joy:

1 Like

Don’t you always wear sunglasses? Or is that false advertising?

The switch is the dimmer. So you can make anything dimmable as long as you have a bulb that dims.

I put dimmers on all my outside lights so I can keep them on thoughtout the night without them being bright and obnoxious. It’s a nice hack.

Pretty much any LED bulbs of good quality are dimmable these days. I like the Phillips warm glow bulbs. They lower their color temp as they dim. Good CRI too.

1 Like

That’s not far off.

1 Like

I use the cheap bulbs they have at Home Depot. They’re garbage. I write the date on the base to satisfy myself about what absolute crap they are. Usually last less than a year and they’re not dimmable. I’d pay more for a bulb that actually lasts. I tried Phillip’s and was equally dissatisfied. One day I will do a proper search.

My bad, I should've mentioned more about the lights. We have these ceiling titties all over the house. If there's a ceiling, and a light, it's an identical titty. I have opened one in the past and it's a small led. So you're saying there's a good chance I can hook a dimmer to them and it will most likely work?

AtoZ0to9, I pm’ed you when your thread got closed. Just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Yessir, my apology for not responding. The advice on the mystery switch was extremely helpful, I plan to use a toner to see if it's connected in some way to this outlet just 3 feet away.

I have been using LED dimmable bulbs for many many years. back when they were very expensive...like $30 each..

these days, they are dirt cheap.

I have had bad luck with some brands, like Menards store brand Smart Electrician, and some Feit bulbs. Either they have a whine when dimmed, flicker, or cause RF interference.

I am to cheap to buy the name brand like Phillips, GE, Sylvania. etc.

I have used for 4years now, Home Depots bulbs, EcoSmart clear daylight bulbs.
Love them. Bright, no flicker, no noise. Work perfect with my Lutron Castea dimmers, and other manual Levitron dimmers.

I use that exact same bulb (Echosmart). They work fine but typically only last a year if I’m lucky. That’s my only complaint. Mainly because they claim they last a long time. They don’t. The old incandescent bulbs lasted longer.

I've been planning under the assumption that these aren't dimmable, but I'd love to be wrong and can use a dimmer.

You can put any bulb you want in those lights. Just make sure the package says they’re dimmable and you’re golden

If you’re buying LED bulbs that only last a year, I can’t imagine the quality/color of light they’re emitting.

If they’re built in LEDs the it’s a toss up. If they had replaceable bulbs, you could do whatever you want.

Dunno. The light is fine as long as they work. But I don’t feel the need to dim them. Maybe a sign.

For me, the reason I went LED was to never change bulbs ever again :joy:

The Phillips LED bulbs are like $4 a pop. More than worth it to install bulbs I won’t have to change again for years.

1 Like

That was my thought too. A good way to age in place. Don’t want to be in my seventies and climbing a ladder to replace bulbs. Will look at Philips again.