Share your Home Assistant ideas

Can you share a model number? I’m checking out Philips bulbs in that price range and am seeing lots of reviews complaining of failure within a year.

I’ve had good luck with Feit bulbs over the years. And @maddox you and my wife would get along. She’d live in a cave if it was an option. :rofl:

I have the ecosmart for years with daily use, many on/off, or on for long time. Not had 1 burn out. Even have one in my parents shed, that see hot summer temps and cold winters, survived the 104F heat wave this summer, and the -25F winter artic blast year or 2 ago.

ymmv i guess maybe dirty or unstable power is killing them in some peoples case.

I know y'all are tired of hearing about my lights... I pulled one apart to look for a model #, whatever, and this is all I can provide without actually disconnecting the light, and knowing my luck, I'll probably have to to know for sure.

appears to be one of those integrated led lights. ie, not the standard medium base screw in bulb type.

stupid thing, those light fixtures, clearly they make them as if they take normal bulbs, the pole and space of the glass globe.
integrated led style like that only make sense for slimline ultra flat fixtures.

my new ceiling fan, that landlord put in, has integrated non changeable LED light...damn annoying cause its warm white, and all the other fixtures they put in they used Cool white bulbs, and i replaced them with Daylight, which is more white, so the yellow warm leds in the fan are very noticeable.

the other fixtures installed in my place are those same glass globe style, but take normal bulbs. they are cheaper than integrated units, so of cource, any aparment complex with go cheap.

Well I'm still not sure should I buy a dimmer or not... Might go pick one up and see... If there's any kinda chance I'll get one and see.

i have installed integrated led fixtures before at others homes.
yes, they need to be made dimmable.
they would say on the product box or documentation if dimmable or not.
looking at Home Depot or other stores, they sell both dim and non dimmable integrated led fixtures.

even if it is not dimmable, sometimes, they can work, and will dim, but not very well or smooth. and, can cause flickering or a high pitch tone. And, can damage the lights over time.

u can just go buy the cheapest manual slider dimmer that supports LED and wire that up to test, before spending the money on a high end dimmer like a Castea.

1 Like

Well hot damn

3 Likes

Now you can be not so bright after all!
:wink:

Edit. And...3000k light...warm white...ewww

1 Like

Anyway to schedule a lutron switch to cut off after a set time, eg 30 mins, 1 hour, etc? I'd like to put the bathroom lights / fans on timers, they frequently get left on.

Doesn't seem possible in Google home or the lutron app. Seems like home assistant could handle it though.

This is pretty straight forward if you are using the Home Assistant integration. But be careful, my wife would knife me to death the first time she got left in the dark while taking a extra long shower.

1 Like

Definitely in HA. This is better with a dimmer vs a switch. The reason is because you can do a slow transition to dim the lights until they are off. This way nobody is caught with their pants down. Literally.

1 Like

Feel like I have enough lights to jump into Home Assistant. I was thinking Linux Mint Debian supervised container in docker, and if I want to keep it permanent, I'll get a Pi or a NUC.

Anyone have the next doorbell battery? It will run off a doorbell transformer configured for 8, 16, or 24 volts. I'm not sure what mine is wired at, it was wrapped in tape, I'm just wondering if I should make sure it's on 24v for optimal power delivery.

If the device is designed to run off the multiple voltages you state, I doubt it matters which you have. The device will convert the low voltage AC to the DC voltage it needs to operate. Most doorbell transformers seem to output 16 volts, but I'm no expert on that. Read the manual carefully and give it a try.

It's been running fine on whatever voltage it's wired up for. I just figured since it is the battery model, perhaps the higher voltage will charge it faster, and if I decide to go with 24 / 7 recording, wouldn't I want to make sure it gets the most voltage it can?

You're testing my memory of high school physics (circa 1984) but I don't think more volts necessarily means more power. Amps also comes into play. I think that as long as the transformer isn't a really long way from your doorbell, voltage doesn't really matter. The doorbell will convert to the voltage it needs regardless.

1 Like

Does anyone use HA and channels? I modified the one I found online to tell me my upcoming shows. Yes, I know you can just look at "up next" in the app but I I wanted as part of HA. And I have it telling me the date/time/channel/duration/title with thumbnail

1 Like

Very cool! What code are you using? I’d like to use it to send push notifications.

this is the code i started with. just modified it from recently recorded to upcoming recordings.(https://github.com/rccoleman/channels_dvr_recently_recorded)

2 Likes