Shared Internal or External, Storage - Nvidia Shield

Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. Client. (not being used as DVR server)

In context of Channels DVR app use, Is there any real world difference in performance/reliability for having my USB SSD HDD (Samsung T7 USB C 3.1 500GB) formatted as "Shared Internal Storage" vs the "External Storage"?

I have always set the USB expansion drive as Shared Internal, so that it extends the built in storage, for cache hungry apps to have plenty of space.
Main example is Channels DVR Live TV buffer.
Having the app specifically installed and its "Storage" in the system app settings set to the USB SSD that has plenty of space available for the buffer.
Also, as not to have constant I/O to the Shields own internal Flash ssd.

I have run files transfer tests to and from the Shield over wired Ethernet, SMBv3 from its built in network share option, and i see no difference at all in transfer speeds, when USB SSD is formatted as Shared Internal, or External.

I have not had any issues with Channels or any other apps in Shared mode.

Just wondering users thoughts/experiences between the 2 Storage setups.

Are you referring to the SHIELD as a DVR server?

The main distinction with "internal storage" vs "external storage" is that the former is encrypted and formatted using the Android filesystem. This means you can't attach it to any other device, and if your SHIELD dies then you have likely lost all your recordings.

For DVR storage we recommend external mode for that reason, so you can simply plug the drive into another SHIELD, PC or NAS and boot up a new instance of the DVR.

No. as i said first line, Client.

I am aware of how the 2 modes work.

Since it is not being used to store recordings...nor is it ever removed from the Shield, there is no concern for data loss to me.

I keep local media files on the device, mainly music video files. (which are backed up else where.)
Or i transfer movie rip files to its storage, and play back locally via MPV...then delete.

So, I gather from your post, tmm1, that unless I am using the Shield as a DVR server, there is no real difference what Storage mode I use as a Client only device then eh?

Correct. For a client you might as well use internal storage so all apps can benefit.

1 Like