Shield Client can't find DVR Server on same Shield after reboot

I've had this problem for quite a while, even before the Shield v9 update, but never got around to writing about it because I don't deal with it too often. I currently have the DVR Server running on a Shield Pro (v9.0.2, 1TB SSD as External Storage) and the Channels Client is running on the same Shield. The problem is: when I reboot the Shield and restart the Channels Client from the Shield home screen, I get the message 'Preparing Your TV' then a failure to connect to the DVR Server on the same box. I get the screen to 'Try Again' or 'Connect to Channels DVR'. 'Try Again' never works -- the icon keeps spinning until I hit the back button. I have to select 'Connect to Channels DVR' and enter the IP address of the Shield. After that, no problems backing out to the Shield Home screen and back in to Channels -- until I reboot the Shield again.

I have two other Shields running the Channels Client and they have no problem immediately connecting to the DVR Server after a Server reboot. Also, when I had the DVR Server running under linux on my Media Server, none of the Shields ever had a problem connecting to the DVR Server after a linux reboot. This problem is specific to re-starting the Channels Client on the Shield running the DVR Server after a reboot.

Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts?

What IP are you entering? Try 127.0.0.1

Thanks for the reply: I was entering the IP address of the Shield, 192.168.1.20.

So, I just tried your suggestion. I rebooted the Shield and when I tried to restart the Channels Client it failed to connect as usual, so this time I entered 127.0.0.1. It saved the IP address and connected to the server the same as when I would enter 192,168.1.20. I then rebooted the Shield again and restarted the Channels Client. Again it failed to connect, however this time hitting the 'Try Again' button worked and it immediately connected. That in itself is a big improvement.

The DVR server has just started its nightly recording schedule so I don't want to mess with it now. After it gets done I'll take the Shield through a couple more reboot cycles to see if the 'Try Again' button continues to work. I'll post again with the results.

• k

OK, after the recording sessions were finished I repeatedly rebooted the Shield then restarted the Channels Client. Each time it failed to connect to the DVR Server on the first try and then when I clicked the 'Try Again' button it immediately connected. So, using 127.0.0.1 as you suggested doesn't exactly fix the issue, but only having to click the 'Try Again' button makes it pretty much a non-issue. Thanks.

Is the server full started before you try connecting?

I thought of that. After the Shield rebooted, I let it sit for a full 5 minutes before restarting the Channels Client. Same no connection result I detailed above.

Can you reproduce then click Help >. Submit Diagnostics at the top right before Try Again

OK, I did it and sent the diagnostics. The Submit Diagnostics help screen offered several choices for the logs. I figured Video Player was probably the right one so that's what I sent. If you want one of the others instead, let me know.

thanks

Yes, I'm having the same issue. Changing the IP address seems like a cop out to me, especially since the DVR Server setup tells us to find the setup window at the Nvidia box address. Am I correct in thinking that it hasn't always been like this?

As I noted in my first post, the issue was present under v8 on the Shield. I've since updated to v9.1 on the Shield and it still behaves the same way. I can't say if the problem resides with Android-TV on the Shield or the DVR server, however using the loop-back address of 127.0.0.1 minimizes the problem since a press of "Try Again" immediately connects the client.

Sorry to have to say Me Too, but :"me too". Reboots of the Shield cause the server to be "reported" as up in the DVR Server Enable/Disable app, but the client app is never able to connect to the server - until I go back in to the enable/disable app, disable, wait 5 secs, then re-enable. Only then will the client app connect.

It's also worth noting that the server app must truly be down, as I cannot access the Web admin pages until I perform the disable+reenable shuffle.

I wonder if there's some network stack component that is not yet up at the moment the TV server comes up...

My DVR server is on a Windows box, but from time to time the Shield forgets the DVR and I am forced to enter the IP address in to fix it.

It happens every few months and I'm never sure what particular circumstances, if any, cause it.