Shield playback issues (Oreo)

I’ve upgraded two of my shields to Oreo and am seeing pretty persistent stuttering every few seconds on live tv. Both 1080i and 720p feeds.

Sent diagnostics for both situations. It’s pretty unwatchable.

The HDHomeRun and Plex apps play back same channels rock solid, so doesn’t seem to be a native android video issue?

Does restarting the app or rebooting the shield make any difference?

No, it made no difference. I did both restart app and then restart Shield…although it took a minute to find restart in Oreo. Otherwise, interface pretty cool IMO.

Let me know what if anything else I could send to help diagnose. I made the mistake of upgrading both our primary Shield TVs to Oreo as other video testing outside of Channels was fine.

I wonder if it’s related to the DVR code. Can you try turning off the bonjour checkbox and restart the app so it starts only in livetv mode, and see if it has the same problem?

I’m still waiting to upgrade to Oreo here…

I upgraded to Oreo this morning and had zero issues watching live TV. I am not using/subscribed to the DVR.
Client: Nvidia Shield TV and Nvidia Shield TV Pro
Tuner: HDhomerun Prime

1 Like

What version of the app are you running?

Did a bit of experimenting. Issue only exists in the current Channels beta 1.0.24-beta. I reverted one of my shields to the public release 1.0.23 and jumpiness/stuttering is not there. I can confirm that through A/B testing on the same channel that only the beta exhibits the issue.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to help here with diagnosis.

1 Like

Thanks @skoal74, that’s a relief. If you can test the beta app in non-DVR mode (uncheck Bonjour checkbox so the DVR cannot be found) that would help narrow down where the problem lies.

I think I found one of the issues. I’ve fixed it and uploaded a new beta build v76. Let me know if it fixes the problem for you.

No, still seeing it in latest. But, I did do the toggling of Bonjour and indeed that has an effect. If on, get stutter. If off, no stutter

1 Like

I uploaded a new build v79. Let me know if it helps.

Are you sure the official non-beta version doesn’t have any problems?

Whatever you did seems to have fixed it. No stuttering evident.

Thank you!

1 Like